Untangle v15.0 Alpha, and future planning

Sky-Knight

Reaction score
Untangle v15.0 is now Alpha! This new release comes with a new Threat Prevention module, with leverages Web Filter's Reputation engine to act as a more intelligent firewall. With this new feature, Untangle servers will be able to prevent all communications with a system with a poor reputation. This is a firewall! So think layer 3 blocks based on reputation, that's what this wonder does. We're also seeing some very welcome improvements to the Web Filter module itself.

However, this update is also a preparatory update for Untangle v15.1, which will update Untangle's base OS to Debain Buster. This process will force any installs not currently using the 4.9 kernel to the 4.9 kernel. As such the update will force a reboot for those units. This may have a hardware compatibility impact for some servers. There are no known issues with any of the NG platforms we've ever sold.

Untangle v15.1 will come later, with the OS update based on the new kernel and will also likely require a reboot too.

Due to all of the above, if you do not have support services readily available it's advisable to disable automatic upgrades on your Untangle servers at this time to prevent these updates from happening until a plan can be made to oversee them. If you're like me and manually rebooted all your servers to get to the 4.9 kernel ages ago, the v15 upgrade should be rather painless. The v15.1 upgrade however, is yet another OS update and they tend to go rather smoothly for Untangle, but I'm sure any of us that have gone through it know that there's always that one box... usually the most annoying one to fix too... that dies. Plan accordingly!

P.S. I you can see what kernel is in use by logging into the web UI, clicking config -> about.

Last edited:
Now I just need for my appliance to see the upgrade. Im pretty excited to test the new VPN system

There is no new VPN system... the new feature for v15 is Threat Prevention. That's a firewall... of sorts. Upgrades will probably take about a month to fully roll out. So unless you contact support and ask to be put on the early list, you might have to wait a bit.

Ok, so the first wrinkle in v15.0 has been revealed.

Anyone upgrading to v15 that has advanced tab changes in the OpenVPN module will have a busted OpenVPN module. You must open a ticket with Untangle to get a patch to get back online, a day build to resolve the issue will be released soon.

So if you followed my instructions to disable compression... you'll break on upgrade. I'd just wait a week or two and upgrade then, let some other poor sod to the testing.

Back