Unifi Point to Point Issue

JoelM

Reaction score
I have a customer with a NanoBeam loco5AC point to point setup. On the input side his internet speed is over 500Mbps. On the receiveing side he is getting about 180Mbps. These are both using speedtest.net.
It is a direct line of site with nothing in between. The units are about 200 feet away. I can't run a hard cable as it's a concrete parking lot. I don't need options other than using the point to point I just need to focus on why we're getting such low throughput. All my research shows the should be capable of aroung 480Mbps. I am testing by connecting directly in to the receiving side with nothing else connected.
Any ideas on where to look? I won't be able to get back onsite to this location for a few weeks as it's about 5 hours away.

What is the max throughput that setup supports? Did it used to be higher than it is now? Edit: I see "up to 450Mbps", which probably means 300 real world. I'm finding it hard to imagine 180Mbps is bad. I always hesitate to show a customer how to run a speedtest - haha.

I am sure the last time I set those up the ap gui was able to tell me the link speed between the 2 point to point links.

I'll have to look when I go back on site in a couple of weeks. I did not set them up originally. They are being used on a construction site to supply the building internet to the construction trailers. The construction group moves every few months to a new construction project and they are not used at every location. I'm not even sure if they have the credentials to log into the GUI for the point-to-point equipment.

Hard to say if you did not set them up. airMax/airFiber radios will report actual speed...what they state...is what the link actually is.
You've got to take a look at the webUI of each radio.....dig into the details, look at the noise graph to see what other wireless interference is around, adjust your frequencies to get into quiet areas, and if they're only 200 feet apart...I bet the goof that set them up left them on default TX power. 200 ' is close. Need to dial down TX power on both radios otherwise it'll be too hot and crush throughput.

If you have Unifi gear on that network, toss those old airMax radios and put in a UBB kit and manage that in the same Unifi controller. That expense will easily pay for itself in savings.

Back