Ubiquiti USG Availability?

JoelM

Reaction score
I have been looking for a Ubiquiti USG (UBI-USG) for a few months now. Any idea they seem to be out of stock everywhere? I like the price point of $139 but if I can't buy one it doesn't matter.
Has it been replaced with something else. It still shows up in the ubiquiti store even though it's out of stock.

It looks like they're not making any new ones. I subscribed to UI Notify and browsed back through a few months of emails that show when different products come in stock - no USG ever popped back in.

If you really want one then a used on (built after April 2017) might be your best bet. I learned about that in a good discussion here

UDR and the UDM are the replacements for that scale....both with built in controllers...and both work well for the smaller scale networks we used the USG3p for. We have many of those out there working great.

The UDM Pro and UDM Pro SE are a step up....also built in controller...but meant for larger setups...those also both work very well. We also have many of those out there working great.

The UXG is currently the only Unifi gateway made that does not have a built in controller, you have to provision it to a hosted controller. We use tons of these for our clients. Although it's a full width 1U chassis....so can't really call it a direct replacement for the little USG3p. Consider it more of a direct replacement for the prior USG-Pro4....although quite higher in horsepower. Only thing I wish that it had was additional ETH interfaces. I prefer to untag vlans at the switch port facing the gateway and use separate dedicated internal ETH ports on a gateway for different networks. Rather than tag 'em all on the single uplink port...granted...the UXG has that 10 gig downlink to the TOR switch...but I still prefer to separate 'em physically.

Currently there is no direct "small" replacement for the USG3P that is...."small" and "no built in controller".

Another question kind of on the same line is...
How many guest users can you have? I have a customer with a Linksys setup with a guest network and we have found out that the linksys only allows 50 guest users.
Is there a limit with Ubiquiti thinking about the dream router?

The UDM Pro and UDM Pro SE are a step up
What I find confusing is their naming convention for these products. What makes it harder to follow is that I think some of the founders are former Apple people. In the Apple world Pro designates a higher end product like MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air, or iPhone 14 Pro vs iPhone SE. The Apple Watch SE is the "special edition" aka cheaper one. Honda Accord lineup sometimes included an SE that was a lower cost model.

But in UniFi the SE is higher than the Pro, so keep that in mind. And a lot of people, myself included, think it's worthwhile to spring for the SE in most cases.

Another question kind of on the same line is...
How many guest users can you have? I have a customer with a Linksys setup with a guest network and we have found out that the linksys only allows 50 guest users.
Is there a limit with Ubiquiti thinking about the dream router?

No technical ...or "on paper"...limit.
As...how many people a router can handle more so depends on...."What are they doing? How much bandwidth are they using? What is each persons connection status? How much internet is there to divvy up to the users? etc etc".

But..with Unifi, there is no hard "licensing" limit. heck, the auto network config even defaults to 22 bit subnet now...there's over 1k.

However, with the UDM and UDRs....we tend to just use those for small networks, like....<25.
Not because I've seen them bog down with larger, just...we use the small gateways for small networks, and larger gateways with more horsepower under the hood for medium to larger networks. With the USG3p....we used to use those for <25 sized networks, and >25 was the USG=Pro4.

Good to know the differences 'tween the prior UDM and the current UDR.
The UDR...they did something to have a little less power under the hood than the UDM, but..it has a couple of POE ports in the back. Handy if you want to do a run to the back for another AP or two....avoids having to add a switch just for the purpose of POE..or using messy POE injectors.

Similar with the UDM Pro SE....not only a double power supply, but...POE ports in that built in 8 port switch.

While there has not been an official announcement (that I know of )....of the sunsetting of the USG 3P....from everything I've seen in various UI tech groups, most are saying it's been disco'd (along with the Pro4).

Countering that...
I have seen several people also mention that early in the morning they've seen limited stock of the 3p show up....and quickly get ordered and "out of stock" within an hour. Guessing they sometimes find a pallet of stock in some warehouse and get rid of it...lol..

What I find confusing is their naming convention for these products. What makes it harder to follow is that I think some of the founders are former Apple people. In the Apple world Pro designates a higher end product like MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air, or iPhone 14 Pro vs iPhone SE. The Apple Watch SE is the "special edition" aka cheaper one. Honda Accord lineup sometimes included an SE that was a lower cost model.

But in UniFi the SE is higher than the Pro, so keep that in mind. And a lot of people, myself included, think it's worthwhile to spring for the SE in most cases.
As I remember the founder of UBNT worked on the original airport Base Station. No coincidentally UBNT packaging looks like Apple stuff.

As I remember the founder of UBNT worked on the original airport Base Station. No coincidentally UBNT packaging looks like Apple stuff.
Yup, his job at Apple was ensuring FCC compliance of Apples early wifi products.
And UI's products certainly do come in "fancy" packaging. Quality of the cardboard, the type of plastic used to wrap, the silicon covering of power cords, the special large white rubber bands securing bundled cables all neatly wrapped, the fancy rip off seals, etc etc.

Back