UAC and other mouse problem with new laptop

carmen617

Reaction score
Doing a system migration to a new Dell Latitude 7400 laptop I recommended and helped my client purchase, and having an odd issue - not sure if I should bail and return system to Dell, or if it's just a simple issue I haven't come across before.

The probem is that left clicking on some things is just not working consistently, either with the touchpad or with an external USB mouse. In general, it's left-clicking that's not getting a response, it seems every time I right click I get a context sensitive menu. But left clicking is inconsistent, except in the UAC dialogue box, where it doesn't work at all. When UAC comes up "no" is highlighted, and i can't click on "yes". What I CAN do is change the selection with the arrow keys from no to yes, and press enter to make the selection. But that's not the way it's supposed to work.

What I've tried? Windows updates (all updated), BIOS updates (there were actually 4 firmware updates for this system), the system had Bitlocker on by default so I turned that off. I haven't tried a system reset, but it came this way out of the box.

The migration was supposed to be done over the weekend, and I am scheduled to deliver the system to the client on Monday. Can't give it to her like this, so just wondering - anybody have a solution for me or do I have to get Dell involved and return/replace the system?

Probably the exact same steps I would have taken. Make sure BIOS and other firmware are updated then perform a clean install of Windows. Maybe disconnect the battery for a while if it's easy to access.

If a brand new device isn't working right after those steps something isn't right.

PS.
Latitude 7000 series should come with a NBD warranty (usually 3yr). Dell will send an engineer on-site to repair it. No need to return.

Probably the exact same steps I would have taken. Make sure BIOS and other firmware are updated then perform a clean install of Windows. Maybe disconnect the battery for a while if it's easy to access.

If a brand new device isn't working right after those steps something isn't right.

PS.
Latitude 7000 series should come with a NBD warranty (usually 3yr). Dell will send an engineer on-site to repair it. No need to return.
Yup, has a 3 year onsite warranty, but my experience with such a nebulous problem, they'll say it's fixed, and something is still not right. I think when it's literally broken out of the box, better to take the pain up front rather than risk living with intermittent issues for 3 plus years.

Yup, has a 3 year onsite warranty, but my experience with such a nebulous problem, they'll say it's fixed, and something is still not right. I think when it's literally broken out of the box, better to take the pain up front rather than risk living with intermittent issues for 3 plus years.

I agree, new OOB, get it replaced. If it was mine I might consider a repair since that'll probably happen quicker than a replacement. But if I recommend something I'd rather get it replaced rather than repaired unless it something obvious like the space bar not working on the KB.

Back