transition from 8 to 10

Client came back and ordered the parts, I just picked up the PC and am performing a Macrium image backup. Then install of the SSD, data transfer, and I'll prob keep all her data on the old hdd for archival purposes.

Easy Peazy! $150 profit. I threw in the backup for free because I forgot to price it plusI didn't want to blow her away with all the charges.

I usually keep an image on NAS and return their drive to use as a backup copy of all their info and ask if they would like it in an enclosure to use as backup drive. I return the drive with their name and date in an anti-stat bag.

how old do you keep an image? that could be a lot of data depending on length of time you keep an image.

I tried to back up the clients files using Fabs but there was some error. So what I’m left with is the new 1TB drive as c drive. The only 500gb drive as d drive.

Problem is I cannot access her old user folder when in Windows 10. I can access just about everything else but that key folder is not letting me in.

How can I get into that folder?

I tried to back up the clients files using Fabs but there was some error. So what I’m left with is the new 1TB drive as c drive. The only 500gb drive as d drive.

Problem is I cannot access her old user folder when in Windows 10. I can access just about everything else but that key folder is not letting me in.

How can I get into that folder?

Try doing it in linux

whats your number? I can't seem to find yours. Try me at 727-253-5749. Give me an hour.

I'm copying the Macrum image over to another drive. Its 450gb, so its taking time. The folder in question is in the Users directory(c:/users). Its the clients named folder inside there. Within that named folder is all her photos and docs. But Windows won't let me in to the named folder.

Tried Ubuntu. That worked, but I couldn't drag-n-drop or do a bulk copy. Weird. So, I didn't get anywhere with Linux. At least not yet,

Current plan is to Use Macrum and restore the image to my external hard drive. Then figure something out on how to get in.
Im working off my copy of her data. Computer is with client. A successful install except for this hiccup.

how old do you keep an image? that could be a lot of data depending on length of time you keep an image.

About 6 months. My old NAS was 6 TB under RAID 5 and now the DAS is smaller under RAID 10. Until I decide on bigger drives I deprecate the oldest images to a new 6 TB WD black drive running alone.

@RetiredGuy1000 - if a drive errors out when running FABs I will usually image it to another drive using Linux and ddrescue and then go again with FABs.

It appears that I have corrupted my only Macrium image file. How this happened is beyond me. Good lord.

Any idea what can possible get in such a file? Can DDRescue work on an image?

Ddrescue works with the media. I'm not even sure it knows files, partitions and images are there. It reads/rereads forward and backwards data blocks and reconstructs them on another drive the same size or larger.

Here's a bit of info on the GUI end of it - https://launchpad.net/ddrescue-gui

I just thought of something, The old Win8 drive that is inaccessible in Win10 is still in the computer and it should still be able to be booted into.
I could boot up into Win8 and I should be able to access the files. Copy from there manually. Easy Peazey...

Back