transition from 8 to 10

RetiredGuy1000

Reaction score
So, I have a new client that has Windows 8. I am upgrading her hard drive on her dell desktop to a SSD because existing HDD is maxed out, doubling the RAM to 8GB, and getting her to Windows 10(buying a USB win10 license on Amazon).

Her intel i3 CPU says it goes to 3Ghz so I thought that was fine for her sole PC use which is to work with images to turn into family calendars, photo projects, etc.

My plan is install macrium on existing hard drive, backup the entire hard drive using my external backup drive. This leaves me with all her data on the external backup drive.

Then open her up and install the new SSD in an open spot. Leave existing hard drive alone. Boot into windows 8 again and use disk utility to create the new drive.

Then reboot and install Win 10 using the new license we bought on the usb stick, via DOS, except install is targeted to the new SSD. She is left with her old HDD that still has Win 8 and all her data. Her new SSD which Windows 10 is installed on. Also insert the new RAM.

But all her existing programs did not come over because the Win10 install was a fresh install. What am I missing? I need the new SSD installed, and would like the OS installed on it as opposed to installing on the existing hard drive. I cant see how to do this unless I am missing some upgrade option, such as running the Win 10 executable from within Win 8 and seeing if an upgrade is offered(versus a clean install).

As long as the target machine is a legit M$ install like an OEM such as HP, Dell, etc all you have to do is run the installer and it'll upgrade. And there's no such thing as a USB win10 license.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Just did this on a neighbor's machine. Once you've done the upgrade you can even create a USB installer, boot from that and do a nuke and pave and it'll still register.

Install the ssd.

Use your 10 iso to install windows.

Do not have it connected to the internet at any point during the installation.

Once account has been made. Fans data over to the ssd.

Activate 10. Install your usual software.

Job done.

well i thought that it was free but this site says the free upgrade offer is over./QUOTE]

Microsoft wants more and more people to be on w10 fact.

They are not going to stop the free upgrades.

What the site said is that the gwx method stopped in 2016.

I've been upgrading clients for years using my method above.

Have never had a single issue.

Only thing I'd do. Is like i say, don't have it connected to the web. The latest version of 10 wants you so badly to create a Microsoft account. Rather than a local account.

If you are connected to the web at this point, it's a pita to make it local only.

Do not have it connected to the internet at any point during the installation.

@Kraken hit the high points nicely. The detail is that yes you could have it connected but then depending if it is Home or Pro Win10 then you may or may not be forced to set up Win10 with an online Microsoft account instead of local. So - just say no to the Internet until install is done.

The Win10 activation happens off the hardware level in Win8 instead of the key codes of Win7.

What software does she use? Did you actually investigate if it may not benefit from cores over core speed and cost of upgrading to new PC over cost of upgrading current?

Thank you all. I wondered if the install is free or not via upgrade.

Why is Microsoft choosing to forego what is probably an easy sale for them?
They want everyone on 10. End users would stay on the OS they are on if it were not still free to upgrade.
MS makes its money on OTHER software and services. :rolleyes:

Their banking on, literally, their Store to be a source of easy money.
And office subscriptions, AD's in the free store games, and other cloud/business products.
Oem licence sales on new computers.
MS never needed sales from OS'es. People just waited till they got a new computer for a new OS.

Last edited:
What software does she use? Did you actually investigate if it may not benefit from cores over core speed and cost of upgrading to new PC over cost of upgrading current?
Well, admittedly, I am banking on the core speed. We priced a new Dell and it was quite a lot of money. New CPU but lots of cash compared to paying me $300 to put in a 1TB SSD, 16GB of RAM and upgrading to Win 10.

When I get the PC in my possession I do want to make sure this makes sense from the core perspective you raised. How do I tell if the current CPU is inadequate for the upgrades? Do I check resource monitor and see if we are maxed? Perhaps there is a software utility that helps answer the question...

She really just uses it to put jpgs into calendars and to email her family. She scans things and likes to create interesting photo products. No photoshop, just light image use in apps that are also pretty light.

I really should have gotten the service tag. I forgot that this is what Dell does for everyone.

She really just uses it to put jpgs into calendars and to email her family. She scans things and likes to create interesting photo products. No photoshop, just light image use in apps that are also pretty light.
It should be fine. What size drive did she have before?

Back