This is unacceptable

There are lots of factors that could cause this, I have upgraded quite a few MacBooks and no issues at the moment

I make a lot of money doing MacOS upgrades - people call me all the time with 3-4 year old Macs on their original version of the OS, and I tell them it's a lot safer to have it upgraded by a pro than to do it themselves. I do a time machine backup on each system, upgrade the OS, make sure their photos and mail is working and delete any dead app icons, etc, as a clean up step. This type of publicity from Apple is just money in the bank for me.

OS updates can bork any system. I had a Windows Update kill the BIOS on a Dell laptop. Eventually got it back but even Dell said they thought the system was defective. I posted about it here.

I had a Mac OS upgrade make a computer unbootable last year. Turns out that the hard drive was failing.

In the article the one user who's system was truly broken was provided pictures of corrosion on the motherboard. Also stated that most of the others were able to recover.

A lot of FUD.

Back