These features are going away with Windows 11

Yay! There is a God. And tablet mode gone too - that'll save a few phone calls!
But there are optimisations aimed at "Touch Users", < Shudder >

Here is what Linus has to say about it

Unfortuanly what M$ has to do with each new version of Windows is to make the UI different to the prior version so that it looks new and not the same, where as everyone would rather they left the UI how it was or as close to the old UI as possible while adding the new stuff !

I used to have a lot of FAQ's as txt in the 98se days along the lines of Start > Settings > Control panel > etc.
These got eddited for XP and then abandoned when 10 decided to hide everything :(

These got eddited for XP and then abandoned when 10 decided to hide everything :(

Sorry, but I've got to disagree with this particular assertion. I have loved, loved, loved how easy Windows 10 Settings are to search for even the most obscure setting, and with "fuzzy logic" where the exact terminology used by the OS is not necessary.

I still can and do use Control Panel for lots of stuff that has not, as of yet, transitioned into the Settings hierarchy, but won't miss Control Panel at all when it meets its final demise. I suspect it's going to be years, still, until that happens. Control Panel is much like IE in that it just won't die!

I use Control Panel a lot! But I have to accept that eventually, it will phase out.

The features being phased out in Windows 11 are good news honestly.

Yay! There is a God. And tablet mode gone too - that'll save a few phone calls!
Cortana going away...

Wow Microsoft must have heard my swearing hahah.

I can hear Jen Taylor's voice every time I play L4D2. So losing Cortana is golden.

Note carefully, Cortana is going away as part of initial setup. I quote from the referenced article:
  • Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
She ain't gone by a long shot!

Note carefully, Cortana is going away as part of initial setup. I quote from the referenced article:
  • Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
She ain't gone by a long shot!
That's fine with me, she was only hopelessly annoying when telling me how to setup a machine.

Back