Windows 11 updates issue with certain apps

frase

Reaction score
Apparently Windows 11 will not update with these apps installed.

Here are the 11 apps that will block Windows 11 from updating:​

• ConisioAdmin.exe (Solidworks PDM),
  • EaseUS Disk Copy.exe (EaseUS Disk Copy Application),
  • ep_dwm.exe (ExplorerPatcher) including since 22H2,
  • iCloudServices.exe (iCloud files shared in Explorer via WhatsApp) from 23H2,
  • RadeonSoftware.exe (AMD GPU perf settings) from 23H2,
  • StartAllBackCfg.exe (StartAllBack) included since 22H2,
  • Multi-mon + Copilot (Microsoft),
  • MergeSdb (Microsoft),
  • Intel IntcOED.sys (Intel),
  • Intel IntcAudioBus.sys (Intel) (%WinDir%\System32\drivers\IntcAudioBus.sys),
  • Realtek 8192su Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (Realtek) (%WinDir%\System32\drivers\RTL8192su.sys

Source

Well, I sure as **ll hope they tell you this at the time of attempted update.

I definitely have AMD systems with Radeon Software because it's the graphics management utility that also handles updates.

Kinda damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. Users would complain about problems with the update - because of their software, then blame Microsoft for being a piece of sh**... and now, they still complain when told of the software beforehand (and being protected from it!).

They've had "a list" for years. Upon one update in the past, I had to remove Easus software (or was in Macrium?) - due to it's "special low-level disk driver" interfering with the install for Windows 10.

"Start Menu" tools like StartAllBack have almost always been a problem (all the way back to Stardock stuff) - usually because they generally need to overwrite memory addresses directly in order to produce the desired effect. If anything changes in "explorer.exe", then trying to remap memory directly as if it were a previous version - can cause a Blue Screen, for example... as the bits in memory are no longer in the correct place/the mappings are incorrectly applied. So, we don't want a user's system to BS on the first boot of their update, right?

Just uninstall those things, and put them back on after the update if you so choose.

Solidworks gets flagged because of the aggressive NextLabs Rights Management (DRM)... which uses aggressive memory-protection scheme. Not even windows can modify the file. So, you can see why that may be a problem during an upgrade where files need to be moved to a Windows.old folder, shuffled around, etc.

ExplorerPatcher is an exe/memory injector - just like a virus or dropper would do, just not nefarious.

AMD Radeon Software directly calls low-level memory functions to modify the EUFI BIOS and MB features.

Multimon attempts low-level memory access in real-time, next to the kernel.

IntcOED.sys (Sound driver) has been a Blue Screen issue for upgrades since 2021 at least. LINK

... if you haven't noticed, there's a theme to all of these. It's usually direct-memory access/writing related. I'm sure those Intel and Realtek drivers are using some low level/direct memory calls to their hardware that MS doesn't like, too.

I'm perfectly fine with having to uninstall and reinstall, if and only if the problem is flagged - explicitly - as part of the upgrade. This isn't rocket science for Microsoft to do, either.

No one can or should be memorizing these lists, they should be presented with the "blocking circumstance" when the installer encounters it, with advice about what to do (uninstall and reinstall after upgrade).

I'm perfectly fine with having to uninstall and reinstall, if and only if the problem is flagged - explicitly - as part of the upgrade. This isn't rocket science for Microsoft to do, either.

No one can or should be memorizing these lists, they should be presented with the "blocking circumstance" when the installer encounters it, with advice about what to do (uninstall and reinstall after upgrade).

It does pop up a list of incompatible software (with option to remove):
1712672973236.png

Back