The "Windows 8 is drastically different and what we can do about it" thread

No jellybean and with the number of people I'm already hearing don't want 8 on their new machines, what a headache.

And jellybean will not work. Have you not read the numerous threads on this forum and others with systems with wornout COA stickers and screwed up Windows installs. They've tried to use jellybean and pull the number only to discover the number doesn't work?

It's worked for me a few times with win 7, I know, It's hit or miss and definitely not an option with 8. Getting into safe mode on a non-booting 8 machine has got me going right now.

The thing we should be talking about is the fact that it’s much harder to fix
hard to get into safe mode
The last 4 system restores I tried to do, came back saying system restore could not be done.
I wish I could find the actual location of those files, same goes for vista, win7
M$ in their wisdom, has put them out of reach.
I tried to do a refresh it said I needed install media that we don’t get.
the list goes on

re:The "Windows 8 is drastically different and what we can do about it" thread

Seems that this thread was hijacked somewhere along the way. But then again, I didn't read every response.....

We are showing our clients the "Free" alternative(s) to using M$ software by showing them the benefits of Linux Mint (v14 as of this posting.) I've been using for quite some time now and am quite taken by it. Works fast, looks great and has just about any type of program that the general public may need to run.

We will have a display with two computers - 1 w/M$ a Win7 Home Prem. licensed unit and the other with Linux Mint 14 - along with the differences in price. Shoot for most of our customers the Linux box will do just fine!

Cheers :)

With a Windows 8 machine inside a TeamVeiwer window (not on the full screen), hitting a corner becomes a problem.

re:The "Windows 8 is drastically different and what we can do about it" thread

Seems that this thread was hijacked somewhere along the way. But then again, I didn't read every response.....

We are showing our clients the "Free" alternative(s) to using M$ software by showing them the benefits of Linux Mint (v14 as of this posting.) I've been using for quite some time now and am quite taken by it. Works fast, looks great and has just about any type of program that the general public may need to run.

Win 8 to the end user is basically a change to the program launcher. While saving money is nice, is asking people to change not only the interface, but all the programs they are used to and reduce the opportunity to use a lot of other programs in the future really the best option?

Or is it better to install one of the band aids discussed here, wait for MS to come to their senses and put in a true home screen option, and help each other with the ins and outs of fixing this thing, like was done with XP, Vista and 7 before it?

Linux is a fine option for a lot of people, but it's not high on my list as a suggestion for someone who is looking for a new computer, and has been using XP or 7, especially business clients.

Last edited:
It's worked for me a few times with win 7, I know, It's hit or miss and definitely not an option with 8. Getting into safe mode on a non-booting 8 machine has got me going right now.

You think getting into safe mode is fun........try booting some linux or other boot disks....UEFI bios makes for some interesting scenarios. I had one Lenovo that I couldn't get any configuration to boot a live CD.

I was trying to make an image of it and after giving up, I just installed the program and made the image from there.

Arggghh!

You think getting into safe mode is fun........try booting some linux or other boot disks....UEFI bios makes for some interesting scenarios. I had one Lenovo that I couldn't get any configuration to boot a live CD.

I was trying to make an image of it and after giving up, I just installed the program and made the image from there.

Arggghh!

I work 99% of the time off boot discs, nice. Remote virus removal always requires safe mode and the corners of the screen metro popups don't work either then, hot mess.

Classic shell is ugly. It is bad imitation of the start menu. Startisback is better and cheap. $2 for a single copy $5 for a 5 system copy.
I agree that Classic Shell is ugly, but you can change the start button icon. Go into settings in Classic Shell (make sure you have all settings checked at the bottom instead of basic settings) & click on the Start Button tab. The Metro Button option that's built-in is actually kind of cool looking or if you want it to look like Windows 7 use this image.

http://lee-soft.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1552.0;attach=1853;image

I work 99% of the time off boot discs, nice. Remote virus removal always requires safe mode and the corners of the screen metro popups don't work either then, hot mess.

Yup. Now thanks to windows 8 not only does the end user have to completely change their workflow so do we apparently. This is a workflow that some have had for almost 20 years all because Microsoft got a wild hair.

I personally can't see why all the techs complain. It is our job to help the end users with their needs. If what the end user requires would be better suited to Windows 7 then recommend / sell them a Win 7 machine.

If they go about and buy a Windows 8 machine then it is our job to get the best result for them - if that is to downgrade to Win 7 or teach them Windows 8 then so be it.

I've done a number of Windows 8 videos to help users learn Windows 8 and help them with some of the features.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK4X7ezNLFJRYEWgAxRaYkc9HiGHeE3qy

So go out and fix the end users issues. If that is to install Win 7 because they didn't consult with us first then that is more money for us. If that is to teach them how to use Windows 8 then again thats more money for us!

This thread isn't a bash Windows 8 thread. Nor is it a bash tech's that dislike Windows 8 thread. Disliking Windows 8 doesn't equal inability or a lack of desire to help Windows 8 users out.

But Win 8 DOES have issues that complicate life for tech and end user alike.

The missing COA confuses end users and techs that expect to have to hunt down a install key and don't know that it is burned into the bios.

Secure boot and fastboot both can interfere with accessing safe mode or booting from 3rd party repair tools.

The keystroke to initiate safe mode on Windows 8 has changed.

The new Microsoft account login has it's own set of issues for password recovery.

And yes some end users are going to dislike the new Start Menu so much that they request a method of going back to the traditional start menu. Just like many users turn off themes and make the system look like a Windows 2000 system. Can't do that in Windows 8 without third party tools. First version of Windows in over a decade that hasn't allowed you to do that.

The problem with 8 is it is so very different in most ways of use to the previous os. If you used any version of Windows historically and you then were given the next new version you would be able to work out how to use it, no instruction. 8 changes that. I have a very elderly base who are upgrading from their old computer to a new Windows 8 version. It's ok saying we can get some training out of it but they have already bought a new computer and often will have no idea how different the new version is. Microsoft have got it wrong big time IMHO.

But Win 8 DOES have issues that complicate life for tech and end user alike.

While I don't generally agree with most of your points for reasons I won't state again - aside from the silly safe mode cluster____ which admittedly is a hassle - IMHO it's programmers that Win8 really kinda gives the **** end of the stick to, for a number of reasons.

For me personally, with D7, the method it uses to recover after a reboot is affected, in some cases completely breaking automation. It's a very annoying metro / not booting straight to a desktop issue.

The metro interface and start button issues I can live with with, it gives me a chance to interact more with my customers on its features and blah blah, builds trust. Its a pain to service remotely I've found, corner pop-up menus can be hit or miss, but the boot issues have me more worried. I've read machines that won't boot at all that have oem win 8 installs have UFEI bios, that just getting into the bios to change boot order is next to impossible, boot options keys don't work, (esc, f10,etc). I have yet to experience that, would like to hear if anybody has had that issue yet with UFEI. Its not an issue with systems that were upgraded from other windows versions.

While I don't generally agree with most of your points for reasons I won't state again - aside from the silly safe mode cluster____ which admittedly is a hassle - IMHO it's programmers that Win8 really kinda gives the **** end of the stick to, for a number of reasons.

For me personally, with D7, the method it uses to recover after a reboot is affected, in some cases completely breaking automation. It's a very annoying metro / not booting straight to a desktop issue.

Yep. Metro sucks and the fact that it is basically running along side of and independent of the desktop is a major problem. Rumors are flying that Win 8.1 will let you boot into the desktop so maybe that will be the fix for you.

Yep. Metro sucks and the fact that it is basically running along side of and independent of the desktop is a major problem. Rumors are flying that Win 8.1 will let you boot into the desktop so maybe that will be the fix for you.

I'm really hoping for a service pack that will bring a simple reg entry to enable/disable it - so I can automate that. I haven't read *any* of the rumors of Windows Blue or 8.1 or whatever - dunno if they are even the same thing.. is it speculated that "8.1" will be an update to 8, or a separate OS requiring a separate purchase?

I'm really hoping for a service pack that will bring a simple reg entry to enable/disable it - so I can automate that. I haven't read *any* of the rumors of Windows Blue or 8.1 or whatever - dunno if they are even the same thing.. is it speculated that "8.1" will be an update to 8, or a separate OS requiring a separate purchase?

Yes and Yes or maybe no. Your guess is as good as mine on that. A Service Pack that you have to pay for is the best description that I've seen. Not sure if Blue is a code name or the name the product will have. I also read one article that claims that Blue will be a subscription upgrade plan. You pay $X.XX/yr for a Blue subscription and you get the right to upgrades so long as you are subscribed.

Back