The "Windows 8 is drastically different and what we can do about it" thread

IMHO it's programmers that Win8 really kinda gives the **** end of the stick to, for a number of reasons.

For me personally, with D7, the method it uses to recover after a reboot is affected, in some cases completely breaking automation. It's a very annoying metro / not booting straight to a desktop issue.

I agree with Nick on this for Desktop applications (like D7) and anything that needs backward compatibility.

For programming Metro apps, where they're clearly trying to push us, they made some very significant improvements and that addressed some long-standing problems.

Personally, I think Windows 8 is a step in the right direction.

Rumors are flying that Win 8.1 will let you boot into the desktop so maybe that will be the fix for you.

The rumors I'm hearing are the opposite -- that Metro Start is here to stay.

Last edited:
Classic shell is ugly. It is bad imitation of the start menu. Startisback is better and cheap. $2 for a single copy $5 for a 5 system copy.

Sorry, I know this is old but I could not agree more. Classic Shell is hideous compared to Startisback. Anyway, I do have a question...I have ONE customer that actually wants metro interface back, which I killed when I installed Startisback. I know this can be done manually with a registry tweak, but has anybody got a script to put it back (quicker)?

Sorry, I know this is old but I could not agree more. Classic Shell is hideous compared to Startisback. Anyway, I do have a question...I have ONE customer that actually wants metro interface back, which I killed when I installed Startisback. I know this can be done manually with a registry tweak, but has anybody got a script to put it back (quicker)?
TechLady,

I don't know much about Startisback, but can't you just un-install it?

Startisback will put a Start Screen link at the top of the start menu. You can also call it up by hitting shift(or it maybe the ALT key, I forget which) while hitting the Windows key. If you right click the start menu icon you can bring up the Startisback settings and disable the program. Or as HFultzjr says you can just uninstall it.

Yes I know, I did that...however, it left the Metro default dead...that's what she wants back on right on startup (ugh).

Sorry to add to the thread breakers, but me remembers DOS and Gem Desktop on the Amstrad PC1640. I think BASIC2 was my first ever programming language! And I believe I've still got all the original 5.14" floppy disks!

Yes I know, I did that...however, it left the Metro default dead...that's what she wants back on right on startup (ugh).
Ok that statement isn't making sense. You either have a startmenu or you don't. If you have removed the program then it will have the metro start menu. Are you saying that Windows 8 is going to the desktop first?

That is a native setting in Windows 8.1. If you have removed startisback you can right click the windows icon and change Windows 8.1 start menu and uncheck the Start up in desktop mode.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/boot-to-desktop-windows-8.htm

Back