The amazing power of Linux

PcTek9

Reaction score
I may have told this true story to some of you, and yet to others it will be more fresh than a cup of coffee on a camping trip in the mountains. It revolves around my gradual change to linux. I still have some windows systems around, but they are slowly but surely going the way of the denisovian's. However here is why. I had at some point acquired in my peculiar assortment of personal systems some tiny netbooks. One of these came running windows 7 starter, not basic, not home, but starter. Windows starter as many of you know is the ford pinto of the cadillac world. But the poor tiny netbook had such a hard time doing anything useful. I eventually upgraded it to slitaz linux. Slitaz as i have yodeled from the mountain tops is a very fast linux with a gui. When the netbook had windows 7 starter, i could not easily browse the web, i could not watch youtube videos in small format, let alone full screen, there was video and audio jitter very badly. But when i put on slitaz, voila, i can watch full screen youtube video with audio and no jitter, perfect playback. Getting printing to work was a feat of sorcery that would have made Merlin proud, but i did it. It actually prints quite speedily now and never with any problems. Other strange and mysterious changes i made included letting the terminal in linux have 160 characters across, and setting the hwclock through the old rdate protocol. Why? because, i hate to toss out a computer that is 'bogged down' when it can be used for so much, still have a current kernel, and still be updated by the amazing Slitaz people. Now, I'm glad I did it.

Might be a good distro for my table-full of crappy old Windows XP and Vista laptops that I've been trying to turn into some cash. Actually, haven't tried anything yet, but I can't just throw them out.

Just hang onto them a few more years. Have you seen how much Windows 98 computers go for on eBay if they're in good shape and restored? In a few more years, Windows XP stuff (and to some extent even Windows Vista stuff) will become collectible.

I keep re-visiting this thread and occasionally wake it up - if only to say.......................

I LOVE my LINUX MINT 18.3 desktop computer. I am now running 19.1 on my Dell Laptop and will be using it when we hit the road in about another week or so.

Using Linux Mint 19.2 myself.. would like to check out slitaz linux though for the smaller spec hardware. thanks for the post mate!

I have Zorin installed on a couple of systems and like how similar it is to Windows. It's easy to forget since I deal mostly with Windows but a great OS.

[re: Linux]That's because it works every time, all the time!

I have absolutely nothing against Linux, but this is at least a bit of an overstatement. All OSes "burp" occasionally and Linux systems are no exception. But compared to the frequency with which Windows before Windows 10 used to burp, it's virtually bulletproof. Even Windows 10, properly installed and cared for, will still burp more frequently than most Linux distos ever do.

I have absolutely nothing against Linux, but this is at least a bit of an overstatement. All OSes "burp" occasionally and Linux systems are no exception. But compared to the frequency with which Windows before Windows 10 used to burp, it's virtually bulletproof. Even Windows 10, properly installed and cared for, will still burp more frequently than most Linux distos ever do.

Burp? Way too polite. I use the polite term of regurgitate instead of barf.

I love Linux, but I don't use it on my desktops / laptops. I use it in routers, servers, security systems, and specialty services.

There is however an exception... all of my kids started on Linux Mint. All four of them... from 2 until about 4, they're on Linux. I swap around 4 because by then they all seem to get sucked into Disney Jr, or something similar with a ton of flash based content. That content for whatever reason runs like arse on non-windows platforms.

Linux runs windows programs better than windows due to the bloat in windows 10 i have a mini-pc all that was on it was a plex server running on windows 10 pro it had a hard time searching through 1000`s of tv shows and streaming more than 2 streams at once.

I switched to ubuntu 20.04 what a difference when searching it was almost instant and now i could do 5 video streams at once without any issues.

Also transcoding large movies was very slow on windows caused streams to stutter on ubuntu 20.04 i can do 5 steams and transcoding without a single stuttering frame.

Same goes for 3d rendering on blender in windows it would take MUCH longer on large render in Ubuntu some of the renders took less than half the time so on my graphics station i run ubuntu 20.04.

I find it funny that Windows 10 now has Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2), with a custom-built Linux kernel.

I have supported Windows for a good few years now.

I am in no way an expert with Linux but love it a lot. Its a breath of fresh air on older hardware and frankly the choice you get with all the distros is amazing. This is simply why I love to distro hop as you can easily find a good use case for an older system and give it a new lifeline.

I use Windows only for games now, my internet and admin laptops are exclusively Linux. I need to have something Windows like around as it helps with Tech support for my folks too!

I have supported Windows for a good few years now.
Congratulations! You've earned the necromancer award for ressurecting a dead thread of 3+ years. I'm afraid I have no option to tell the Zombies to go ahead and have thier fill of brains. Where's Bart when you need him?

The zombies also wanted to let you know they don't mind starting new threads, so you can totally do that. In fact most zombies are lazy so they like the R&R.

Translation: Try not to open up threads that have been dead for a few years. You might just start the zombie apocalypse. Maybe. We've never tested that function, and we might not have a backup of the zombies. Poor creatures have such poor constitutions.

Congratulations! You've earned the necromancer award for ressurecting a dead thread of 3+ years. I'm afraid I have no option to tell the Zombies to go ahead and have thier fill of brains. Where's Bart when you need him?

The zombies also wanted to let you know they don't mind starting new threads, so you can totally do that. In fact most zombies are lazy so they like the R&R.

Translation: Try not to open up threads that have been dead for a few years. You might just start the zombie apocalypse. Maybe. We've never tested that function, and we might not have a backup of the zombies. Poor creatures have such poor constitutions.
My apologies. I’d not spotted the date! Lol ooops!

Back