[REQUEST] Swann Security

I've been using Swann cameras both wifi and fixed for about 7 years now,
they've been very reliable.
Easy to set up and the software is very simple. Runs on my phone and tablet and PC without issues.
My neighbour has the same kit. We both bought at the same time.
He's had zero issues that I'm aware of.

Because I live on a corner I get the police here often wanting to review footage.
Sometimes they take the recordings.

I've never had to call support so cant speak to that.

I take reviews with a grain of salt.
You can buy fake reviews from Indian companies for as little as $5 per thousand.

I don't do a lot of security systems anymore, but the few times I've set up a Swann system it was pretty straightforward. Their stuff is okay quality. I personally prefer cloud based security like Nest these days, but if you want something that will work with a DVR and you're okay running wires then Swann is a good system.

I use a swann system in my shop. Other than the browser viewer only works in IE its been pretty good. The phone app works well and the cameras are good quality

Swann cameras seem to be coaxial wired? The cameras have to plug directly in to the NVR? There is a requirement for cameras in two separate buildings connected by a wireless bridge with the controller in one building. This kind of eliminates Swann, unless they have IP cameras?

It all seems to be leading towards (something like) a Ubiquiti system with G3 cameras and Cloud Key Gen2+ but I thought I'd explore all options given this is not a commercial site.

I've come across Reolink. They have PoE IP cameras. Anyone know about those?

I have a fair bit of knowledge in this space. Generally Swann are pretty low quality for what you get.

The Ubiquiti G3's are not good value for what they are. I love my pretty Unifi ecosystem, but the cams are just not good value.

Reolink is generally alright, probably Reolink and Amcrest is the lowest I'll go so its alright for residential.

Dahua and Hikvision give you a lot for the price point. Of course, there are low-end and high-end options of all brands.

Really depends on budget, what the cams are looking at and how far, how many they need, when the "threat" will happen etc..

Some of the big things that are important with cameras (other than the resolution) is the sensor size and the lens.
For example, lots of people go straight for 4K cameras as "the best". Most consumer 4K's are pretty great during the day but suck at night.
My little 2MP with a large sensor will KILL a 4K at night.
My house has mostly 4MPs with a 1/1.8" sensor on it because its the best combo of daytime resolution and nighttime visibility. 4K isn't the best option for both.

Larger sensor, more light gets in.
Higher resolution, less light per pixel gets in the same size sensor.
Which is why my seemingly low-resolution 2MP 1/1.8" is awesome at night. Lots of light per pixel.

Most kit cameras all have the same lens's, but you probably want a mix. I've got some 90 degree stuff in the corners of my property. But up the sides of my house I have 12mm varifocals which are 23 degrees.

Last edited:
I have a fair bit of knowledge in this space. Generally Swann are pretty low quality for what you get.

The Ubiquiti G3's are not good value for what they are. I love my pretty Unifi ecosystem, but the cams are just not good value.

Reolink is generally alright, probably Reolink and Amcrest is the lowest I'll go so its alright for residential.

Dahua and Hikvision give you a lot for the price point. Of course, there are low-end and high-end options of all brands.

Really depends on budget, what the cams are looking at and how far, how many they need, when the "threat" will happen etc..
The situation is a 1 acre domestic property. They want a camera facing the rear of the property and one at the front of the property. There's no budget yet, we're looking at all options.

I'm not familiar with Dahua and Hikvision, have to look into that.

Updated my post above a bit.

So being able to see WHAT happened is easy and most cameras can do it. Being able to see WHO did it is something else and the price point is higher to achieve it.

If they go a wide angle lens, like 2.8mm (90 degrees) or even wider. The person needs to be MUCH closer to identify them.
If someone was say... 10m away from a 2.8mm camera, you probably are going to struggle to identify them.

But something like an 18mm (15 degrees) can often identify up to 45metres.

People like wide because it "covers more area", which is true. But if you want to identify targets you've got to go tight FOV.

So a mix is often good. Some wider angle stuff (like 90 degrees) for overviews, then some tight angle stuff watching something specific, like a gate or other choke-point people/vehicles are going to go through for face/plate identification.

Larger sensor, more light gets in.
Higher resolution, less light per pixel gets in the same size sensor.
got it 👍 Now what do the numbers mean? is 1/2.8" bigger or smaller than 1/1.8" ?

I notice the reolink cameras
RLC-810 = 1/2.8" (4mm lens)
RLC-511 = 1/2.7" (2.7-12mm lens)

as a comparison, the Ubiquiti
G3 = 1/2.8" (3.6mm lens)
G4 = 1/1.8" (4.24-12.66mm lens)

Back