Super Geek

mmerry

Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only person who goes into places and looks over the ceiling to see what equipment they are using and if they have the APs placed in good locations. Everywhere I go, I am basically doing an audit in my brain.

I doubt that you're the only one, but I certainly don't.

When I'm not working, I'm not working, and this isn't even the sort of work I typically do, so there's that, too.

Only when I notice something that jumps out of me like a certain Chase bank that I looked up on the ceiling and saw line-of-site maybe 8 Cisco Meraki APs. I was like... WTF? That many in a room. What are they doing?

Mine is even worse.

I am/was an commercial electrician (Union). So, not only do I see networking AP's and cameras - I also see all the electrical conduit and get to critique that as well. :)

When I am dragged places that have 0 interest in I begin to look around and if I spot stuff like this I will start doing a review of it from a broad visual inspection. I often wonder if I look like I am casing a place lol.

Add gas prices to the list. In my former life, I managed several Convenience stores. We had to report the gas prices to corporate daily so they could make the call on any price changes.

I still look at every store I pass.

Add gas prices to the list.

Those I've watched like a hawk for decades, literally. I generally know where the lowest prices are anywhere on my typical travel routes.

Right now Charlottesville, VA, has a number of stations, including Costco, that are under $3/gallon. I paid $2.94 yesterday, and $2.96 at the same Costco one week earlier.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who goes into places and looks over the ceiling to see what equipment they are using and if they have the APs placed in good locations. Everywhere I go, I am basically doing an audit in my brain.
Guilty, guilty, guilty. Because I have such a broad background it's pretty much what ever is electrical/electronic in any room I go into. But I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it. Some, if they find out you've worked for a company/equipment you are not representing, start looking for free tech support even if you're there for something else. Especially printers.

Some, if they find out you've worked for a company/equipment you are not representing, start looking for free tech support even if you're there for something else. Especially printers.
This, OMG. Family gatherings, friends BBQ's whatever.
As soon as they find out you work in IT suddenly "Oh, my PC is doing this and this...can you help?"
And of course they want it for free.

Only when I notice something that jumps out of me like a certain Chase bank that I looked up on the ceiling and saw line-of-site maybe 8 Cisco Meraki APs. I was like... WTF? That many in a room. What are they doing?
Making sure no one else in the building can use any WiFi.

A few years ago I had a UniFi AP that would tell everyone "wrong password" even though it was correct. Took the AP home and it was fine. Back at the business still wrong. The business on the floor above had way too many APs and pretty sure the little UniFi couldn't deal with all the noise.

I think it's pretty common for people in any specific industry or trade to notice the work of others, or work related things in their life.

Having said that, for me and my particular flavor of neurodivergence, I found myself mentally disassembling laptops many years ago. I once had a (nightmare?) situation where I was so sleep deprived, combined with servicing so many iphones, that I thought my newborn baby needed a battery changed as I was holding him. I would sometimes soft pen-test end user kiosks in stores, when the wife was shopping and I was bored waiting for her.

As an aside, so glad I couldn't care less about the cost of gas anymore.

I just had this experience - went into a kitchen design place, one big room, but not THAT big, they had an AP in each corner of that room. Like, that is NOT the way you do that. - haha.

Back