Striving for better efficiency but losing the game

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm a mobile break-fix company with 2 techs and 1 office employee; just passing 11 years in business. I'm doing an average of 135 tickets per month. Our split by revenue is 70% residential and 30% SOHO business customers. We have a growing RMM customer base, but are still primarily break-fix and I don't see that changing (which is ok with me, by the way). A question in another thread about followup emails prompted this musing. I would love to do followup contact after service, but it ends up being just one more thing that isn't easy with my current systems = another job to add to the list.

Let me describe my systems currently in place and maybe someone will have some good advice that I've missed along the way.

My basic problem is that I already have enough places where I'm duplicating data entry. If I add one more, I think my head will explode. :)

I have a customer database that I have been using since the day I started. I wrote it myself, and use it for multiple functions in my business. It gives me a lightening-fast way to see all of the calls I have had with any particular customer, and I use it to calculate ROI for my various advertising sources. (e.g. Show me the total consulting revenue for any new customer from google adwords for the period 6/1/15 through 6/30/15 - I printed this report this morning, it took me about 45 seconds to get the answer). I use it for many other summarizations that I just can't get easily in Quickbooks or Mhelpdesk. Revenue per technician is another number I get from this source. Also, I can calculate total miles that a particular tech should have traveled to compare it to the mileage sheet they turn in. I update this every day with the calls completed for the day. This is the easiest system to answer the question "What did I do for X customer the last time we saw them". I can answer that question is about 3 seconds. Have you tried that with Mhelpdesk, for example? It's not pretty.

I use Mhelpdesk. I export to Quickbooks at the end of every day. This is my job-management system and I also use it in the field to create invoices and take payments using iPads. It does that function well, but it is NOT a CRM or PSA. If Mhelpdesk would add the ability to send or schedule emails based on a definable trigger, it would be the obvious choice for doing the followup emails. I don't think that will happen, though.

I keep a spreadsheet that has totals for the month for every month I've been in business. I use this to get month-end and year-end projections, easily see graphs of my customer base, income by month for consulting, hardware sales, RMM, stuff like that. Again, this is not easily doable elsewhere. I track income, ticket count, total customers, new customers, total expenses, profit/loss, etc. I can easily calculate the average revenue per ticket and track that over time. I can easily see the average numbers for all of my past "Julys", for example to see whether this month is extraordinary for one reason or another. I can compare this year's year-to-date with last year's year-to-date for the same time period. All things that are just not easily doable in Quickbooks, for example. I update the current month's numbers a few times per week to keep an eye on the month-end and year-end projections. I can also easily see revenue per day for the current month. Because I know we need $X/day to meet our overhead, this is a quick look at how it's going.

I use Quickbooks for my accounting. I update it every day so my bookkeeping is always up to date. I generate my RMM invoices directly from Quickbooks (it was the easiest place to schedule recurring invoices), but most all other invoices are generated in Mhelpdesk and exported to Quickbooks. I also do invoices for business customers where I accumulate time during the month and bill at month end directly in Quickbooks because Mhelpdesk sucks at that.

I use Google contacts and Google calendar. Mhelpdesk integrates with Google calendar but not contacts. We all have android phones and this keeps all of the customer and calendar data instantly updated and available for everyone.

I use Mailchimp for newsletters, and export names and email addresses from my database for this purpose. This would be the second choice for sending followup emails, but it can't be automated because there is no way to integrate it with anything else.

So, for every ticket, I'm putting some information in up to 4 locations. Someone changes their email? I have to put it in 4 places (5 if you count Mailchimp - but I normally create new list every time as that is easier than updating an existing list). It's maddening, but I can't see giving up any of the data I get from the multiple sources. I just don't think there is a way to make it more efficient without loss of clarity. and I hate loss of clarity.

How are other people doing all of this? Maybe there is some Magic Stars all-in-one Computer Repair practice management software I don't know about that just does everything all in one place, but I doubt it. I already know that I'm creating my own data-prison by maintaining these systems, but I'm worried they will start to collapse under their own weight if I don't let go of some of the details that I love so much. Maybe I need an analyst, not a business coach!

RepairShopr is what your are looking for. It is the "Magic Stars all-in-one Computer Repair practice management software" Check it out, give the trial a whirl. I understand you built some of what you have yourself, but give RS a good honest trial. It does what you are looking for.

I would also add that pcrt gives me the ability to send emails out in the future.

The only thing I can see wrong in pcrt is that it doesn't integrate with any accounting software.

I have used PCRT as well and it certainly did what I needed when I used it. However it is missing some features and isn't quite as polished as some other alternatives. You have several options for sending emails and responses based on your criteria.

We switched to RepairShopr early this year and it's money well spent. We use their $100 a month plan so everyone has their own account in the shop. We can pass tickets around to everyone as the repair progresses using their internal message system (works like forum PMs). Our clerks write up tickets, assign to techs, they get PM saying they got a new ticket. They diagnose, write estimate, email estimate to customer, pass ticket back to clerk to follow up. She gets a PM ticket is assigned to her. She gets the approval or denial, updates ticket and assigns it back to tech, he gets PM and so on. This has greatly improved our efficiency.

The followup emails after a computer has been completed and picked up is awesome as well. We have scheduled emails that go out to clients to make sure they're happy with the repair after 14 days. We follow up with other emails as well. All automated by RepairShopr. We don't even think about them. RS takes care of all of it.

We are just switching some clients to text message notification as well. Customers constantly tell us how much they love our system. They check their portals, see ticket updates, images techs uploaded and can communicate directly with techs.

RS is the best $100 we spend every month.

I agree Repairshopr is what you are looking for. I do have an invoicing program that I still use, since I have been using it for 3 years already. I mostly used it for duplication and to track what I have made the past couple of years and see the growth. But Repairshopr features has blown me away.

Does Repairshopr integrate with Google Calendar? Google Contacts? Quickbooks? This integration or lack thereof is the main sticking point I have with Mhelpdesk. The ticket management is pretty good. The Quickbooks integration is just ok. The Google Calendar integration is pretty good. The lack of integration with Google Contacts means we have to enter new customers there as a separate, manual step. This introduces an opportunity for error.

Does Repairshopr have an IOS/Android app? Since we are primarily mobile, the big job we are asking a software like this to do is to create invoices in the field using our iPads, email a copy to the customer at point of sale, accept the payment and then later transfer the transactions to Quickbooks.

What about efficiency of design? Here's a scenario: I'm at an existing customer, I create an invoice, take the payment, then at the point of emailing the invoice, they tell me they have a new email address, or I don't happen to have the email address. Right now, Mhelpdesk lets you overwrite the existing email address (or fill it in if it is blank), but doesn't do anything with the data. IMO, it should prompt you at that point and ask if you want to update the email address in the customer record. If you agree, it should do so and then that change should be populated to Quickbooks when you do the daily download of transactions.

This one, simple thing drives me more crazy than it probably should. I think it shows that the programmers don't actually use the system. This kinds of things are places where the programs we use can actually save us time and effort. I worry that the lack of attention to details like this is indicative of the programmers and/or company's general attitude.

Does Repairshopr have a user community? A place where you can address your questions to other folks actually using the system in your own field? Mhelpdesk's lack of user forums is one of their biggest failings, IMO.

@inbargains - how many techs do you have? I'm paying just a bit more than that to have 3-person access w/MHD, so it would be just about a financial wash.

Random thought: How "scriptable" are your changes? With a program like Auto Hot Key you could automate keystrokes and mouse clicks in a macro-like manner and with a key combo (like CTRL+ALT+U) it could update the e-mail address to whatever you had in your clipboard...it might take a bit of R&D to do, but you could keep your current setup, not have to migrate data, and not have any additional software cost. (It sounds like a beast of a project, but it might be worth looking into...)

RS has iOS app and mobile website for android. We don't do a lot on mobiles but I've accessed it several times to update a ticket and it's seems easy enough to use

RS uses Quickbooks and Google calendars so no problem there. It also does address lookups when entering new customers which our clerks really like. You put in a partial address and it tries to fill the rest. I'm not sure about Google Contacts integration. We use vCita for our online scheduling.

As far as editing an email address, no problem in RS but I'll have to look and see what it does with QB integration, I believe it just corrects it for the existing customer. I don't think it creates a new customer. If my memory serves me correctly, QBs keys on names and not email addresses.

RS has extensive KB
http://feedback.repairshopr.com/knowledgebase

RS has Community Suggestions and allow members to vote on development ideas.
http://feedback.repairshopr.com/

I don't think you'll find a more flexible solution for this industry. We are slowly integrating more of their solutions as time allows. I figure it will take most of the remaining year to get it completely set up.

We have 5 techs, 2 clerks and 1 remote tech on the system. I'm just happy not to hear everyone yelling updates back to the shop or out to the clerks. Now they have their own private internal system to communicate. :)

@OaksLabs, this occurs while accessing the system via the mobile app on an ipad, so I doubt there is any scripting capability there.

MHD has the whole "voting" system for suggestions, and while I understand the company's need to prioritize development time somehow, I have to say I absolutely hate the whole voting idea. If I think some change is important, then I want to make my case directly to the company and have it stand or fall on it's own merit, not be hamstrung by having to convince other users to "vote" for an idea I consider important.

A user forum is different than a KB. It is a place where you can address your queries directly to other folks actually using the system. Not unlike Technibble. It is less about lobbying for change than it is sharing home-grown solutions. When your only avenue of support is directly with the company, you get the company line as a response. You get only sanctioned solutions.

@inbargains, how easy is it to access prior tickets for an existing customers? The one dream I had with MHD was to have this information available to field techs. It's there, but access is cumbersome and time-consuming enough that we don't even try to do it. I paid handsomely to have 5 years of old data integrated into the system, but it's just too difficult to access it.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing MHD. The things it does well, it does really well. It has given me the ability to be essentially paperless in the field and has helped because of it's integration with Quickbooks. It just hasn't introduced the efficiiencies I had hoped for. Plus the transition was a bit painful and I don't want to go through that again without some better idea of the end result.

It couldn't be easier to access a customer's old tickets. You go to customers tab, start typing a customer's name and bam you have them. Click their customer page and everything is there, all tickets, invoices, payments, assets, communication logs and how much they've spent in total with your company. All right there.

8f29e606c222e6f56e9ce00e495d5b0e.png

RS has iOS app and mobile website for android.

Does it really have an iOS app?
I can't find it in the App store.

We have been using RepairShopr for about a year now and it has also changed the way we work for the better.
We also switched our accounting package from Quickbooks to Xero and Repairshopr links in with that great.
We don't use anywhere near enough of the features it provides but are slowly putting more into our workflow as we find time.

Hmmm. Use the iPhone to remote into a cheap android that's hooked up to the shop's wifi until Troy and the lads can jump through all of Apple's hoops?

Let me first say, I feel your pain! We've been open for 9 years now, and started out using an install of Microsoft Dynamics CRM that we got free with our Action pack subscription. We spent a LOT of time customizing it and writing workflows for how we do business. Unfortunately, over the years, how we do business has changed, but we no longer had the time to re-write workflows or otherwise customize CRM. We signed up with GFI Max a few years ago and have been making the move to become a MSP.

I spent a lot of time demoing new systems to replace our aging CRM. I did demo's with Autotask and connect wise, as well as a few others. I actually signed up for Mhelpdesk at one point and planned on moving to that. but after spending some time to set it up, I still saw a bunch of flaws, ended up canceling and we stuck with our awful system.

Double entry is the bane of my existence, my goal for 2015 has been Efficiency! Anything we can do to automate our processes is being done, and things that can't be I'm looking to farm out to someone else or see if it can be cut out of combined with something else.

After a long search, I found Repairshopr and decided to roll with that. While it didn't have everything I was looking for, it had a good amount of pieces, and it seemed to be actively worked on with new features being added constantly. I signed up and started working to get all of our data migrated (not an easy task in our case). Our plan was to switch over sometime in september when our busier season starts to wind down (we have a few seasonal clients that keep us pretty busy during the summer).

As it would have it, 2 weeks ago, our office manager of 5 years quit, (giving us 4 days notice). I figured now was as good of a time as any to make the move, and last week we officially moved over to Repairshopr. I'm only a week in, but I should have made this move a while ago! The quickbooks integration is a HUGE time saver. (make an invoice in RS, it gets made in quickbooks, take a payment in RS, it gets applied to the invoice in QB automatically). all of these tasks were previously done by my manager, but not they are handled automatically. The ability to set up Contracts and recurring invoices is HUGE for us (although I'll admit, this area needs some work, and its not as polished as I'd like, but it seems to be at the top of their road map).

Their support has been pretty good, while most of it is handled via email. You do have the ability to call. They even have an onboarding process now that I don't believe existed when we signed up. I'd say its worth a serious look. The price of $100 per month is VERY reasonable for this package in my opinion. (especially considering what some other systems are charging).

I had previously used mhelpdesk for over 2 years and did well but I outgrew the features that I needed and switched to RepairShopr about 9 months ago. I must say it has worked very well for my business. I use it on iPhone and iPad quite often and works very well. I also use QuickBooks online but don't integrate with it right now as I basically just enter deposits of Cash, Credit Card, Checks or Paypal into QB and then verify monthly that all transactions were entered when I reconcile. It has saved me a lot of time with all of the estimates, tickets, invoices and handling of inventory all within RepairShopr. The only other application I use is ACT CRM as I wanted more tracking of my prospects and handling of mailing lists which RepairShopr doesn't do currently. I do plan on using the automated email marketing in the near future also. They have made a ton of improvements over the past 9 months and their support has been great!

Back