Splashtop Remote Computer Access

PR Tech

Reaction score
A customer of mine is frustrated that her yearly subscription for GoToMyPC has jumped up significantly this past year and will not be renewing. Splashtop was recommended as an alternative. Anyone using it or have clients using it for remote computer access?

We use it as well for one-off remotes. Moved tentatively last fall when our Logmein subscription came due. It does have file transfer, and works fine. I have had the odd case when it would not connect, but that was mostly likely end-user error. I don't like the prompt for admin credentials for the remote machine when you connect, but we almost never provide them and it seems to work fine just the same. Way less expensive than LMI Rescue. Same problem as LMI trying to get unskilled end-users to the site to download the connector. We often just email a link instead of trying to go through that nonsense.

I have used Splashtop as my main remote utility for about 3 years now both unattended and attended. I have never had an issue with it other than WOL which was most likely a network issue. It may be a bit more price wise compared to some alternatives but it just always seems to work so it is worth it to me. You can also setup sub-accounts to "resell" to your clients giving them access to their group of computers which should more than cover the increase cost vs some other program. File transfer works fine as long as you are comfortable with a folder tree and seems to be quick.

One downside I've found is that you can't reboot and auto-reconnect the remote computer unless you enter admin credentials for the remote machine. Never had to do this with Logmein.

Actually we have been using Ultraviewer for about 2 years ever since Teamviewer went ski high with their rates. It's not as robust as other products but has been adequate for our needs in general. Usually it is helping a customer with a printer setup or Email issues.

IT is a totally free product - the only possible issue is that it is from Vietnam.

We have been fortunate overall to not have to remote in to many customer sites other than for MSPs.

I just stumbled on this post looking for alternatives to LogMeIn. I have a few clients trying to ramp up for remote work that don't have any remote access now. Some of you mention that file-sharing was something missing from this solution but their website shows that as included. Maybe they filled that gap since this original post? Any other current feedback? I was looking at this for today's client but plan to test it myself first. https://www.splashtop.com/pricing?a...kefn9jdQ0PA4SoakP5dw4y7q6A7cEIr0aApICEALw_wcB

All I can say is I use Splashtop for remote support and it's pretty good. Especially at $100/year. Never really cared about file transfer, etc. as I have a ownCloud server for file stuff.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no way to log any details about the session. With LMI, when you first started a session, there was a prompt where we filled in the client and very brief description of the problem. This allowed me to run a report at the end of the month and make individual judgement calls on whether that session should be billed or not. I got used to this luxury. With splashtop, there is no such logging, only the account that signed on and the IP address of the target computer. I have to rely solely on the support ticket, which folks can get sloppy with (including me) for times when they were in a hurry, got interrupted by another project, etc. etc.

I assume from that that you're not using their Remote Support capability of setting up end-user accounts to let them access their computers remotely? Or taking advantage of their discounted pricing on Bitdefender?

Back