(SOLVED) Tool to keep a running live "sync" tween an...(ugh)...Yahoo account to new 365 account?

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So I took on a client, a Church. Since the dial up days, they ran with snet.net and iterations of its email...up to current, @sbcglobal.net
Got 'em to get M365 non profit to take over their office setup, got new workstations to replace their old peer to peer workgroup, moved file shares to Teams, tied their 365 email to their public domain, etc.

Recalling years ago, taking clients to "real" email from yapoop to SBS or whatever, I'd setup a forwarding rule in their yapoop.
That feature just disappeared (got taken away) this past December for the basic email accounts. Arggg. You can upgrade to their Mail Pro paid email....but after the client spend half their day on the phone wading through useless yapoop support..that's only for real Yahoo accounts, not...the ones they pulled in from ISP mergers (like sbcglobal.net). So....no luck here. 365's import feature only meant for short term...believe there's some limit.

I have their SBC email added to Outlook as a second account....but since it appears to be IMAP only, I can't choose to have Outlook download the emails and save it to the 365 mailbox.

Is someone aware of a 3rd party/middle man tool...to "pull from an IMAP and shove into another mailbox in Outlook"?

..and I won't even get into what a nightmare exporting Yapoops contact list is....they have it so...non standard, doing the individual column alignment for the import that just keeps blowing up at the end....ugh!

Last edited:
Are they planning to ditch the Yahoo account? If not , how is IMAP a problem? Old messages stay on the server and are retrieved as called for.

Yes they'll transition over. Probably after a year...hopefully much less.
Just need a way to "forward" them into their 365 mailbox. Right now the Yahoo is a second mailbox in Outlook. I like the simplicity of 1x mailbox (and so do the old ladies that volunteer there). All email flows into the 365 mailbox..even those that went to Yahoo...and all emails get replied to from the 365 mailbox. Makes it easier and fool proof to transition over to the new email account, since they can just work out of that. When they reply to email that came from yahoo...it comes from their new email account (with their domain)...so daily contacts 'n stuff learn of their new email address easier.

@YeOldeStonecat Bittitan? You can buy a license and it'll run for a year! Just schedule it for repeat imports.

Crossed my mind was just hoping for lower cost ...it was a project for a Church...a referral from a good client, one of those things ya know? Pretty low budget project. I may just eat that license and do that if I find nothing else, just hoped someone stumbled across an Outlook plug that did that.

Crossed my mind was just hoping for lower cost ...it was a project for a Church...a referral from a good client, one of those things ya know? Pretty low budget project. I may just eat that license and do that if I find nothing else, just hoped someone stumbled across an Outlook plug that did that.
Unfortunately, doing things poorly always results in the most expensive repairs. This is one of the many reasons I try to avoid servicing churches. I did service one for over 10 years, only for them to fire me in favor of a larger outfit that got them locked into a Meraki extortion contract.

Cheap doesn't work for them any more than it does for anyone else...

This is one of the many reasons I try to avoid servicing churches.
Speaking from some other recent threads, it must really depend on the circumstances, your biz, etc. Churches have been some of our best customers. Churches talk to each other, too - which is how we picked up 5 "churches" total (in varying capacities). Some of those have dropped out as new rectors come in or management changes... but it's been an overall very positive experience for us.

This is one of the many reasons I try to avoid servicing churches.
And there are many!

We live in a small town with lots of small churches, all of them (as far as I can tell) Christian but with wide variations on the basic theme. Most of the churches we look after are run by committees of the well-meaning-but-ancient and they seem to take advice from anyone who's passing. Many have far more intricate IT and AV systems than they need, all of them are on a tight budget, and a lot of them seem to expect discounted or free(!) work because, well, religion. It's like working for a whole lot of really small golf clubs with all the problems that entails and no free golf.

The vocabulary's difficult too. I'm pretty sure we lost one Baptist church after I referred to the people in the cheap seats as the "audience" and the thing at the front where the performers* work as the "stage". On a different occasion I once asked "who's the chap with the wings**,***?" but I think I got away with it.

Well, if they wanted a Christian technician they should have asked for one.

* Now that I think about it, "performers" might have been problematic too.
** Extra points to anyone whose first thought was "five rounds rapid".
*** Six of them. And a sword. You might very well have asked the same question.

Last edited:
The vocabulary's difficult too. I'm pretty sure we lost one Baptist church after I referred to the people in the cheap seats as the "audience" and the thing at the front where the performers* work as the "stage", and I once asked "who's the chap with the wings**,***?" but I think I got away wth it.

Well, if they wanted a Christian technician they should have asked for one.

I will not question anyone's personal choice of expression, but there are certain simple courtesy terms one should know because they're such a part of the culture at large, not because one subscribes to any given faith.

If I'm working for a religious institution, on site, I make sure to have taken a quick look at "what they call things" before going out. And I don't think it's difficult to know that "congregation" is the most common term across many faiths for the group of worshippers, regardless of seat location, and the altar for the focal point of the place of worship where the celebrant (and that's an odd term I doubt many would know) presides.

I'd toss a tech who called a congregation an audience and the altar a stage simply because it suggests a lack of attention to both detail and one's actual audience.

Choices have consequences, some of which are quite predictable.

I'd toss a tech who called a congregation an audience and the altar a stage simply because it suggests a lack of attention to both detail and one's actual audience.
In AV terms, the guy at the front is a performer on a stage performing to an audience. This is true of a church, mosque, synagogue, meeting house, or humanist karaoke club and under the circumstances it was arguably the correct vocabulary to use. I'm familiar with the other words you suggested but they were not the best technical choice. (For example, did I mention that it was a Baptist church? The "stage" area was definitely quite a bit more than just the altar!)

And if you'd toss* a technician merely because they mispronounce your shibboleth then that's entirely up to you.

Choices have consequences, some of which are quite predictable.

And desirable! In this case it was clear early on that they only wanted to employ one of their own faith and by gently making it clear that I wasn't one of them we were able to part on amicable terms with no awkward questions either asked or answered.

Not every technician is a good fit for every client and the sooner we figure that out, the better. I have no problem working for churches if they have no problem working with me, but "I am what I am" (as Albin Mougeotte says) and masquerading as something I'm not simply to get their business crosses my ethical boundaries

* Language! This is an international forum and to some of us this word doesn't mean quite what I think you think it means. Know your audience!

Last edited:
The church that fired me had stadium seating for 1000 people with lights, cameras, projectors, smoke machines and everything else.

It was certainly not an "altar", it was a STAGE. And that congregation was definitely an audience.

But yeah, you try to adapt to the local jargon regardless of location otherwise if nothing else people get confused.

The general principle, "It is polite to refer to someone/something as the person you're talking to would refer to it," is all I'm getting at. And if you don't you'll likely be dismissed, whether physically or as an option, in many cases.

Toss to mean, to throw away or to kick out, is not unknown in any variant of English. I'm well aware of the term "tosser" (and its meaning, see 'wanker' as well) in British English.

Alright...didn't mean to start a religious debate.

I grew up going to an Episcopal Church....did the whole "Acolyte" and "Server" thing, Sunday school, blah blah. While I didn't live a religious adult life, part of my heart got tugged by this project since this was for....another Episcopal Church a few towns away from me.

While I cut my teeth in the dial up days and early days of broadband...migrating small businesses from POP email accounts from the ISP...to Microsoft Back Office==Small Business Server...with vanity email...I've been out of that loop for, well, over 2 decades so just not familiar with the latest knowledge of those freebie email accounts anymore. I'll just swallow the BitTitan license, we usually have a few dangling loose in our portal anyways from other migrations we've gone. Familiar with that tool..used it since the guy who started it back when it was MigrationWiz was a 1x man show (he was an ex Microsoft employee...Exchange developer team)...good product.

I'm just beat down the past couple of weeks....not thinking with a clear head lately.

Brian,

Over the years have had some AOL users with no forwarding options either.

My solution was to create a generic gmail account and pop the mail into that, then set to forward to new.

Has been reliable

It should work, I have been doing this for clients as I move them to exchange and they are scared of "missing anything" then I make a rule for that crap under their inbox lol.

Back