[REQUEST] Slowly Re-Wiring Work Network - Stuck With Budgets

NviGate Systems

Reaction score
So as the title says, I need to re-wire the network at work. Long story short, the previous company didn't look after the network properly, left no documentation on how it was wired. So I am slowly going through and fixing it.

My first concern is the service network, so I was able to get warranty on our old 2600 series HP ProCurve and setup that. (Our previous Sonicwall died, the PSU caps went boom and even after replacing caps, the board just ticks on and off like it's trying to pull way more amperage than it should be.)

I have a very very tight budget. Our cabinet that holds everything is a freaking mess. I was able to isolate our showroom and service networks. Now due to complications that I can't immediately overcome, the two areas have had to be temporarily joined due to major failures of the various network gear we have. Most of it was consumer crap. Now, I have on order two more HP ProCurves from eBay & a NetScreen 25 ($18), I verified they (HP) have lifetime warranty. One is a 12 port 2512 series ($4!!), and the other one is a 48 port 2650 series ($12!!). I also have a Juniper Networks SGS5 at the shop, but it's limited to 10 users. My plan was to use the Netscreen 25 to bridge the connection coming from Shaw (our provider) and branch that to our existing SonicWall that powers our internal network for sales, etc. I would also make a branch for the showroom areas, one for client machines, and one for tech pc's. I've read up on the NetScreen 25 and it's fully capable of doing that. I made the decision based on cost and what I would be re-inbursed for, so I went for equipment that was retired and verified working by the seller. In all, the 2 switches and VPN Device cost me $82 with shipping.

The one hitch I see is that our wifi network is powered by our service network, which means anyone connecting to the wifi will be on the same network as client machines. Now, our existing Procurve 2600 in service can filter the connections between the ports (it's a managed switch) but I doubt it can handle the wifi. The wifi is Ubiquity (small white puck in the ceiling with POE).

I'll grab a picture of our setup when I'm back at work on Wednesday. Basically here's how it's setup:

1.) Incoming ISP SHAW Modem

2.) Netgear Switch (4 Port)

Port 1 --> SonicWall For Corp Network
Port 2 --> SGS5 for service & showroom
Port 3 ?
Port 4 ?

3.) Corporate SonicWall goes to our server room and also goes to a 16 port Netgear switch which goes to various workstations etc.

Most of the networking is through the wall to keystone jacks (not sure if that the correct term) however, the issue is that we had a big mouse/rat problem, so it's possible some of that could be compromised.

Now the other side of the coin is I have 2 ASUS rack servers I can use, each one has 4 GB network ports. I was thinking of putting Hyper-V on one of them and running something like IPCop for our service network, to perhaps do load balancing/caching etc.

Any thoughts? Am I on the wrong track? Remember, I'm stuck with a paltry budget so I have to make do with or get cheap items.

Thanks!

In general it sounds good to me givin the circumstances

Which Ubiquiti? Some of them have built in guest portals so they can be isolated.

On the Netscreen. Never worked with those. Are you sure there is no subscription required for it to work? I know you said your budget is tight but you can buy a new Ubiquiti ERL3 for some $90 USD with all of the users you could want. Are they paying for extra subs on the Sonicwall?

What are the specs on those servers? Have you looked at VMWare ESXi?

Back