Silver Anniversary came and went and no one noticed

Markverhyden

Reaction score
including me until I pulled that t-shirt out of a drawer a little while ago. Don't think I heard a peep about this anywhere. I can still remember the lines at CompUSA waiting for the mid-night opening. Seem to remember they had refurb HP Pavilion, 14" monitor and MMX CPU, on sale for something like $600. That was when a bottom dollar system was something like 1200

silveranniv1.jpg
silveranniv2 a.jpg

Last edited:
I seldom think about the anniversary of any introduction of a Windows version, even the first one. Like cars (in many states, anyway) qualify for antique plates on their 24th or 25th years, Windows versions age quickly, very quickly, too. By this point in time, Windows 98 is not just antique, but in its sphere it's ancient history.

I seldom think about the anniversary of any introduction of a Windows version, even the first one. Like cars (in many states, anyway) qualify for antique plates on their 24th or 25th years, Windows versions age quickly, very quickly, too. By this point in time, Windows 98 is not just antique, but in its sphere it's ancient history.
Using that timeline I wouldn't call it Ancient history. More like Middle Ages or early Renaissance. But the reality is anything 10 years or older might as well be Ancient for the lack of attention from OEM's

The only date that sticks out for me is April 2nd, 1987. The day IBM introduced the PS/2, OS/2 and VGA. One reason I remember as they said they waited one day. 🤓

Windows 98 still has a market in retro enthusiast since most things not compatible with modern systems works as well or best under Windows 98 compared to any version between then and now.

I wish I had the time and could find the parts to build me a retro Win98 system for fun

Back