Service Pack 2 for Vista not installing.

earguy

Reaction score
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3060 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238315 MB, Free - 159795 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 70 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007

I was given a Dell Inspiron 530s computer and reloaded Vista Home from the disk that came from Dell. I ran updates and service pack 1 shows up in Programs and Features. When I try to install service pack 2 I get a message telling to first install service pack 1. But it is already installed. I performed an SFC /SCANNOW as administrator, but still the problem persists. I also performed a CHKDSK /f /r and this didn't help. As I have installed the OS from the Dell disk I am pretty sure that there are no viruses or any other malware.

Every so often I get an error code 0x8007000D. I went to Microsoft's site and they instructed to run this command: fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\ This did not help.

I've performed a memory test and passed. I can get online (obviously) and do most tasks, but still would like to install SP2.

I've tried to uninstall SP1 and reinstall, but it seems that it won't uninstall. Besides, the computer keeps crashing, flashing a blue screen and then restarting. I've downloaded most of the updates.

Any advice?

Back