Server 2008 versus 2003 and...

PcTek9

Reaction score
I think server 2008 is a lot better than 2003 in some ways.

I like that everything is more graphical gui and clumped together. In server 2003 I was frequently looking everywhere to find something to do something, like working with policy even with the centralized server management software.

A very interesting thing that microsoft has recently done (well when 2008 was released), which strikes me as a bit funny was the introduction of server core.

Server Core is still server2008, only they took away almost everything. It's like being at a dos prompt, the entire thing is pretty much a 'dos prompt' or virtual console window, a CLI (command line interface) controlled stripped down job of server 2008.

Microsoft claims that if they had done this with 2003, that 75% of all security problems and virus problems could have been avoided over the past several years. :) LOL. ok. So you are saying that removing internet explorer and windows explorer pretty much eradicates the problem areas, so why not work on those things? ;)

Out of all the SBS 2003 & 2008 systems I'm currently maintaining the only one that ever has been infected has been my shops and that was mainly because I had a laptop connect to the wrong wireless network when it was infected with a P.I.T.A. virus the spread via, email, network shares, flash drives and more.

As far as 2008 SBS i'm not really impressed with it. The management GUI is greatly improved and so are the wizards but configuration options are limited, especially when when it comes to network & backup configurations. I really dont like how the server is just another node on the network.

I think it all depends on the company and what you are using the servers for. There are some more advanced features that come with 2008 but most will never use them in small business. I run both on Hyper-V and there is no real difference for what we do.

I'm inclined to suggest that the SBS version of either is a financially poorer deal than plain vanilla for most small companies that I deal with.

Also there is the 64 / 32 bit issue.

Back