Server 2008 R2 Standard

netgeek

Reaction score
The server will not boot.
I will be replacing this weekend but need to get access to Sage Contractor 100 SQL to get final backup.
When booting it stops at Windows boot manager with the followeing information
File: \boot\bce

StatusL 0xc000000f

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have found several articles that mention repairing the BCD with . Bcdedit command responds with

The boot configuration data store coulsd not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any help in getting the server back to running will be greatly appreciated.

By the way the Raid 1 Mirror is intact and is being reported as Normal.
This is a Nobilis server from Equuscs
Server board is a Supermicro X10sll-f

Not a fun one.
Can try the usually futile "boot from CD"...and run the repair..you can find those various commands out there. Time consuming and ...not the most successful. 'course getting the drives of a RAID system seen from a boot CD...hmmm....
Any image based backups being done?

I can see the raid when i boot from a windows pe disk just cant seem to find the the bcd. Bcdedit says data store could not be opened because the system could not find the specified file

If it was me I'd have stopped wanking around with it after the second power cycle boot failed. The next step would be full disk image. Something hosed the boot sector and not knowing why is key. Could be a hardware problem with one or both drives or the controller. Is it a real RAID card with battery backup or one of those RAID lite chipsets that use the OS to do the heavy lifting? If it's the former then you could use diskpartd to image. If it's the latter you have to could still use that but it will see two disks so you can only image one disk. Did it die while running or fail upon a reboot?

Send it off to (Luke?) I forget the guys name here.... lcoughly I think is his username.

He can recover failed arrays. If it's mission critical or very important... you'll thank yourself later.

Server 2008 R2 is also end of life... so hopefully this includes migration to at least Server 2016.

Back