Seeking Advice for Growth

Of course not. The problem is, some people only have a $300 budget. Those people would do better with an older refurb that only supports Windows 10 than a new Celeron piece of crap from Walmart that runs Windows 11 on a 64GB eMMC.

No, definitely not. I'm talking about the guy who comes in off the street to buy a computer with a $300 budget. I'm usually able to convince them to bump it up to at least $500 so they can get into something newer that fully supports Windows 11 but sometimes it's a hard budget because they literally don't have any more. These people are much better off going with an older Windows 10 refurb than taking that $300 to Walmart and buying a piece of junk.

I think some of us forget that there are a lot of people who are struggling financially. Things are getting worse, not better, so expect to see more of this. If you mainly service business clients you won't see this very much but for those of us who serve mainly residential it comes up more frequently.

No argument there but I'm not comfortable selling systems with Windows 11 that aren't officially supported. 8th gen is already almost 5 years old and by the time Windows 10 loses support they'll be almost 8 years old. At that point they really should be retired.

Yeah very true with gen 8 being already nearly 5 years old. I still sell some refurbs older than gen 8 for clients that I know will not need 11 for a long time. Moving forward though in the next year I'll mostly just stick to gen 8 and beyond unless it's a very specific situation.

Some of these folks that call me with no money I just try to give them a few pointers on something decent on ebay and then tell them I can do any setup work etc. for a separate fee etc.

I still sell some refurbs older than gen 8
Yeah, me too. That being said, I don't BUY anything older than 8th gen nowadays. If I get it for free? Great. If I have to buy it? No way. I still have wholesalers trying to push 6th and 7th gen stuff on me. The kicker is it's not even much cheaper than 8th gen stuff.

Anything older than 8th gen should be selling for pennies on the dollar nowadays.

Back