SD Card Reader or USB3 Flash for tech toolkit?

PhilFCS

Reaction score
We have a customized tech toolkit, it has all the tools we need and is bootable following a guide from rmusbprep.
I used to have 3x 16GB flash drives, one primary that had all my tools on it and the other two as scratch devices for grabbing a few files here and there or in case I needed to make a bootable OS installer or live cd quickly.

However the controllers on these devices are fickle at best, they often just die out of the blue causing me to lose a few days worth of files because I only back it up when I'm in the office and have time to.

At home I have a dimecard(credit card size device for holding sd cards), with several sd and sdhc cards on it.
I've got one that's been in my wii for years with no problems. I've put the dimecard through the laundry at least once in it's life, all the sd cards survived. I also have a few sd card readers, again never had issues with those but they're used less frequently.

I'm going to test if the card readers can be used to make the sd card bootable as I do a flash drive. (I don't see why not)

My theory is typically the usb controller dies on a flash drive (at least in my recent history) and it renders the data irretrievable, if the sd card adapter dies, big deal buy a new one.

TL;DR: I'm leaning toward replacing several USB3 devices with a dimecard, some sdhcs and an sd card adapter, the question is any reason not to?

The only thing that comes to mind is 'speed'. I would miss the speed of the USB3.0 device. I use a small external USB3.0 case with an SSD hard drive. If the control board on the case itself goes bad I can move the SSD into a different case

The only thing that comes to mind is 'speed'. I would miss the speed of the USB3.0 device. I use a small external USB3.0 case with an SSD hard drive. If the control board on the case itself goes bad I can move the SSD into a different case
I do the same . I have one bootable Mac OS and 1 bootable Windows that are always in my bag. I run a malware scan on them at the end of the day.

However the controllers on these devices are fickle at best, they often just die out of the blue causing me to lose a few days worth of files because I only back it up when I'm in the office and have time to.
I wouldn't condemn all flash drives based on this. If you've had bad experience of one brand, try another – they're not all the same. Spread the risk by having duplicate flash drives, each copy on a different brand.

A couple of my flash drives have been in daily service for around seven years and still work without issues. I can't understand how a professional tech can put his tools through the laundry – why is stuff like this in the pocket anyway? Don't you have a laptop bag or tool case? The very first lesson for any professional discipline is to look after your tools.

I'm leaning toward replacing several USB3 devices with a dimecard ...
That would just give you a single point of failure – not a good place to be.

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess at this time I'll roll the dice and try another USB3 flash drive. I've had few issues with USB2 devices but the first batch of USB3 did not last as long as USB2 had. Kingston burned me the most, even the replacement for one I RMA'd died on me a few months after getting it, I have a Corsair that still works but performs slowly. I was aware SDXC would be slower than USB3 but not sure it's enough of a speed difference to matter to the scripts and small apps that I have on the flash drive, I'm not using it for data copies unless I'm in a pinch and lacking a direct disk alternative.

I like SD cards for long term backups, and what you are describing (a 2 tier, loosely coupled system) by separating your USB interface from your flash storage chip is very valid. SD cards are waterproof, almost crush proof, fit in your wallet, can go up to 512GB, and are write protectable (ever have an AV eat your favorite tool?). All in all, I'm a fan of them. With that said, all the other previously mentioned pitfalls are true as well.

Back