Samsung 980 Emergency Firmware update

Seriously though, I push for quarterly firmware checks on all SSDs because of this very thing.

And it's the very reason (for home users) I suggest that any "service station" software for your computer as a whole, or specific components, be installed and allowed to run in the background. While I've found that most computer OEMs have excellent utilities of that class for their computers as a whole, most SSD stuff requires the end user to fire it up manually in order for the check to occur. I wish they had their own behind the scenes constantly running firmware update checkers that would apply same when detected.

Seriously though, I push for quarterly firmware checks on all SSDs because of this very thing.

By "push", do you mean "recommend" or "automate"? If automate, then I presume you are doing something with the "Get-StorageFirmwareInformation" cmdlet in powershell? I can see that this could retrieve the current firmware version of a disk, but trying to automate the determination of the correct update and installation of that update sounds incredibly complicated...

By "push", do you mean "recommend" or "automate"? If automate, then I presume you are doing something with the "Get-StorageFirmwareInformation" cmdlet in powershell? I can see that this could retrieve the current firmware version of a disk, but trying to automate the determination of the correct update and installation of that update sounds incredibly complicated...
No automation is really possible, it's in my quarterly physical check of all machines, a service I sell or is a part of my managed plans.

Unless you're completely Dell Business line bog standard and use their overpriced drives... then you can automate based on Dell Command Update.

You could at least use that to alert you of out of date firmware.

You could at least use that to alert you of out of date firmware.

That's what I was thinking - My RMM doesn't have custom variables we can populate, but I could run a task to pull the drive information once a week or something. Hmm - I'll have to see what info is available with that powershell cmdlet...

Back