[REQUEST] Samsung 2.5" SSD passes SMART but fails random read and linear

ell

Reaction score
So do the standard hard drive tests give reliable results with SSD'S? I haven't dealt with many bad ones so I'm not sure if there's anything different in testing these. I always run system diagnostics before everything. This one passed smart but threw up errors for random and linear read. The drive is working, slow (but its win 7 loaded with crap) so I want to be sure its not a false positive or something.

In my experience, some/many of the Samsung drives misreport SMART a lot. I would rely on what your actual tests are telling you and not the drive's own assessment.
thanks, I run offline third party test for smart and read tests, so its not samsung's smart test.

I don't pay much attention to software based tests on drives these days. If it's not something obvious like malware, 10 search bars, 3 AV's etc I'll just tell them it's best to replace. Drives are dirt cheap in the scheme of things. If I do any test I'll just image the drive to a spare and see what happens.

I don't pay much attention to software based tests on drives these days. If it's not something obvious like malware, 10 search bars, 3 AV's etc I'll just tell them it's best to replace. Drives are dirt cheap in the scheme of things. If I do any test I'll just image the drive to a spare and see what happens.
Yeah it's easy with spinning drives, but with ssd it seems it either works or it doesn't in my experience. Never seen this test result before on one.

Now that it is working, install and run the Samsung Magician software. It will show you if any firmware updates are available and has speed testing and SMART testing built in.

Reactions: ell
Back