Reset now win 8 and keeps failing at installing 166 updates

ell

Reaction score
Anybody have a solution to this, aside from doing another reset (cuz I had to backup 55 gbs of data) . After the reset windows immediately downloaded 166 updates which of course failed then took 2 hrs to roll itself back. So I went in a checked only 10 to be installed, rebooted and its installing all 166 again, which I presume will fail too. Anybody have a solution?

I have had this happen several times. Good luck. Sometimes doing only one will reset it then do a couple of the large updates.

I've had to resort to doing 5-10 updates at a time, sometimes....

(My stepson's Hp/Win8 laptop failed a few times, and, reverted back to a factory refresh, so, had 1.3 GB of updates pending, and, somewhere near the 85-90 updates remaining point, one of the updates breaks the wireless. (It still sees the networks, but, won't connect; removing the last batch of 5 installed updates, does not fix it, only restoring to the point just prior to installation of the updates. Take a 2-4 day break from it out of frustration, and...20-30 more updates pending. Nice!) :)

Did one the other day, 140 updates. Took a couple hours, break it down into smaller updates especially those Dot Net frameworks.

Did one the other day, 140 updates. Took a couple hours, break it down into smaller updates especially those Dot Net frameworks.
I thought thats what I did, unchecked them all, then checked just the first ten, selected install, and then it proceeded to install all 166!?

Deselect any .net updates from the list and run the update then do the .net updates one at a time.

Deselect any .net updates from the list and run the update then do the .net updates one at a time.
I was all ready to come back and do a system restore to the point I created before I rebooted but amazingly it installed all of them go figure. The only thing I can think happened is it installed the first 10 in windows when I selected "install" then on reboot the others were able to install correctly.

Last edited:
I think the key is to install some directly from windows update while in windows, then reboot. Another post mentioned turning off secure boot, but sometimes thats a hassle to get to also. I had a Asus win 10 machine in this week that wouldn't let me change bios settings no way.

Anybody have a solution to this, aside from doing another reset (cuz I had to backup 55 gbs of data) . After the reset windows immediately downloaded 166 updates which of course failed then took 2 hrs to roll itself back. So I went in a checked only 10 to be installed, rebooted and its installing all 166 again, which I presume will fail too. Anybody have a solution?
First thing I would check (before you run updates) would be the power settings - to make sure the hard drive or the computer isn't going to sleep during the updates. I've had this happen oh so many times in the past and it is quite frustrating. I generally set the hard drive to NOT go to sleep when the unit is running on A/C power and the same with the computer itself going into power save mode when on A/C power. I set both desktop and laptops this way and so far no problems. But if I forget then I see the same issues pop up.

Yeah anything .net always fubars them up for me too on win7 or 8 it seems. I just deselect all those and come back to them at a later time.

During my wipe/re-install yesterday I found the best way was to leave Windows AutoUpdate on and restart the machine every hour or so.. only had the Roll-Back error once.

Took forever to go from Windows 8 to 8.1 with all the different updates, but it's back up now.

Back