Remote Support

I used Bomgar before at a prior company, and while I don't know anything about the pricing, I know the company was a larger enterprise - 250+ employees, 5 locations, six IT people.

When I started my own company, I looked at what was available and purchased TeamViewer. I think it's much more powerful than Bomgar, but that might just be how we were using it.

Since I'm a one man shop, TeamViewer's licensing isn't that convoluted for me. Flat fee, and I only have to pay again if I want to add a second technician, or get the newest version, or buy a new feature (I can't currently support mobile devices, but could add it if I needed to)

I originally purchased version 8, and have spent less than $500 to upgrade over the years. I have the software installed on my laptop, desktop and tablet, and can use any of them to connect to a client (provided I'm not using it to connect to the same client on two devices - they yell if I do that. ;) )

I've used Screen Connect, and it's similar, but I personally think it's more expensive than Team Viewer...at least, in my situation.

Just my two cents worth.
I bought a premium license of TeamViewer 5 when it came out. I started having issues with the partner list and all my notes under the clients started going blank. I used the notes for simple info on date of last connection and general notes on the job. I sent them emails on this and it was a back and forth that lasted almost a year! Finally they just upgraded me to TeamViewer 6 premium at no charge. I've set up an email account just for TeamViewer that I check every 2 months or so. The emails trickel in about upgrading and your time is running out to upgrade to version whatever....not sure what version it is now. They only option they offer is upgrade to the latest version from my version 6 premium. None of it has any new features that I need, but they will not give me a good price on upgrading to lest say 8 or 9 so I can check it out, it's all or nothing and for me with a premium license...its something around 1,200 dollars for the upgrade--not going to happen. It's extremely aggravating when clients and their kids plow forward and install the latest version of teamview....which means i can not connect to them without going through the insane PIA on the phone of guiding them to my website, download the version I have up there, and run THAT ONE....PIA. No backward compatibility and I think that is to try to force people to spend money to upgrade and for that reason alone--I will not! So I may also be looking for something new, even though I have lots invested in TeamViewer. I have 3oo + clients on my Computers List, and when i run the latest free version just so i can get around their backward compatibility issue, it kicks me out after 5 min telling me to upgrade, or BUSINESS USE DETECTED...

@Choppie At this point you're probably spending more billable time and hassle dealing with it than the cost of the upgrade. Either shift to something else, or possibly upgrade now to their current version but also decide on what you're going to move to and get that installed on all of your client systems so you can pretty seamlessly transition over when Teamviewer does their next paid upgrade.

.its something around 1,200 dollars for the upgrade--not going to happen.
Where did you get that from? Even in Australia with our crappy exchange rate my upgrade was only AU$249.00
That's (currently) about US$150 or so.
And if your using the free version for business and you get bumped after 5 minutes, what are you complaining about?
My .02

I suspect he's looking at Premium (US$1260/year right now), though I'm not sure why. A Business-level license may now provide things that required Premium 7-8 years ago, or they may have not even had the Business one back then.

Reactions: GTP
Where did you get that from? Even in Australia with our crappy exchange rate my upgrade was only AU$249.00
That's (currently) about US$150 or so.
And if your using the free version for business and you get bumped after 5 minutes, what are you complaining about?
My .02
I have to use a free version to connect to those that have newer versions than 6 as its not backward compatible. I have to talk them through downloading my exe file of my website....

I suspect he's looking at Premium (US$1260/year right now), though I'm not sure why. A Business-level license may now provide things that required Premium 7-8 years ago, or they may have not even had the Business one back then.
When I bought my license, there were 3 versions, the premium was just below the enterprise, but two above the bottom level. I didn't want to be limited on how many computers I installed it on and I was totally wrong in my thinking because I ended up just installing it on only my shop computers and laptops, and putting the FREE version on my clients computers which I connect to. The premium license is visible if you go to about, and I didn't want anyone or other techs stealing my key and using to install and run it off my license should a client have another tech look at their computer. Maybe I'm using it wrong then, not sure. Version 6 works fine, why would I need to spend the money just for that reason, spending money. I'm still using MS Paint and Notepad, they work perfect yet I also have the complete CS6 Master Collection just because I didn't want to fall into that subscription CC world, and use VI in UNIX land which if you don't use it constantly, you start forgetting vi commands FAST. This is just me complaining about TeamViewer rolling out updates and versions faster than you can buy them, like printing money.....and I'm not jumping on that train is all I'm saying, I don't have enough clients to keep paying out money on new stuff every time it comes out. I'm still using the Galaxy note 4 with a cracked screen :) I have no shame..ha, I just tell it like it is.

We use Teamviewer and ScreenConnect we have licensing for both.

I personally am a big fan of ScreenConnect however in our SOP teamviewer is what we officially use.

Anydesk is pretty affordable, currently $80 per year with additional seats for $30. Don't know if it has all the features you need or if the pricing structure would work for you, but might be worth checking out.

Security plays a massive part in our remote app choice, which is why I’ve tolerated LMI pricing for so many years. I’m trialling Splashtop as our annual LMI renewal in January is going to cost almost as much as my car!

I just signed up again this year with LMIR, I tried splashtop and had way too many issues with clients to use it daily. Now it's a spare.

I just signed up again this year with LMIR, I tried splashtop and had way too many issues with clients to use it daily. Now it's a spare.
Interesting, I may find the same and look toward TV which is still less than LMI - ludicrous increase this year, which I need to stop banging on about!

Back