Reloading with Windows 7 after a 10 load?

AlexanderCS

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got a couple of Lenovo machines (E73, M900...) that come preloaded with Windows 7 Pro, downgraded from Win 10 Pro.

If I toss an SSD into the unit, is there a way to load with Windows 7 and get it to activate, legally? Let's assume for the sake of argument that I may have already wiped or used for cloning backups the old WD Blue drives I pull from these machines. :oops:

Anyway you can. Under the terms of the downgrade rights, you can use ANY legally activated copy to install with retail or OEM. The success or failure of activation is NOT a reflection of your legal right to have and use the software.

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

The best way to do this would be with a Lenovo disk. Most Lenovo's have media creation tools even on the downgraded ones. You probably can make the disk you need. If not use any Windows 7 disk you have. PCPETE has an SLP tool that can let you setup the install as if it was an OEM so that it doesn't have to activate. Search the forum for it.

Hi folks,

I've got a couple of Lenovo machines (E73, M900...) that come preloaded with Windows 7 Pro, downgraded from Win 10 Pro.

If I toss an SSD into the unit, is there a way to load with Windows 7 and get it to activate, legally? Let's assume for the sake of argument that I may have already wiped or used for cloning backups the old WD Blue drives I pull from these machines. :oops:

Many of the Dell's I order come with a W10 License but the computer comes factory downgraded to Windows 7, i.e. no sticker.

So what I do is I use the Dell Backup and Recovery software that comes with the computer to do a factory backup to a USB disk. Then pop in the SSD and factory restore it to W7 by booting to the USB.

I do this method with nearly every computer I sell, because every computer I sell I just about require the client to spend the extra money on an SSD. The funny thing about it is after you reset it to factory, it's already activated, as your would expect, but if you use a keyfinder on the computer after it's done (magic jelly bean etc.) it will show a Windows 7 license that you cannot activate, probably a condition of a volume license.

HOWEVER, if you do the same process on a completely different computer (I've only tested the same model), after you reload it and check magic jelly bean it shows the SAME license, almost like Dell only uses 1 volume license for its factory recovery media. It probably varies per model though.

Many of the Dell's I order come with a W10 License but the computer comes factory downgraded to Windows 7, i.e. no sticker.

So what I do is I use the Dell Backup and Recovery software that comes with the computer to do a factory backup to a USB disk. Then pop in the SSD and factory restore it to W7 by booting to the USB.

I do this method with nearly every computer I sell, because every computer I sell I just about require the client to spend the extra money on an SSD. The funny thing about it is after you reset it to factory, it's already activated, as your would expect, but if you use a keyfinder on the computer after it's done (magic jelly bean etc.) it will show a Windows 7 license that you cannot activate, probably a condition of a volume license.

HOWEVER, if you do the same process on a completely different computer (I've only tested the same model), after you reload it and check magic jelly bean it shows the SAME license, almost like Dell only uses 1 volume license for its factory recovery media. It probably varies per model though.
They do. It is called SLP(System Locked Pre-installation.) Each major OEM has their own key that also requires a certificate file on the system AND a matching certificate key in the BIOS. If all three conditions are met on boot up the system will be activated without having to phone home to M$. If you get install media from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc they will have that key and certificate placed on the media. @pcpete has a tool that has many of the keys and cert files that can place them on a system. You still have to have the proper BIOS but you can install with regular media, use his tool and get the activated system. Great for situations where the sticker is illegible.

Back