Recovering Data From RAID

earguy

Reaction score
I have a client's computer that has a RAID card installed with two disk drives connected to it, with 3 physical drives in total (the third being a HDD connected directly to the motherboard). He wants me to retrieve pictures from the drives and I'm not sure how to go about doing this with RAID. The computer does not get past POST. When I enter the RAID configuration utility disk 0-and 1 show, each having over 500 GB on them. They are Western Digital HDDs (if this makes a difference).

I do not know what OS it is running, but I suspect Vista as the copyright on the RAID configuration utility is 2006.

This machine belonged to the client's son who is now deceased and as a result, no other information is available such as what type of RAID setup was used. I suspect either 0 or 1. Again, I don't know.

What is the best method to use to retrieve the data from the system? I have tried using Ubuntu LiveCD but I am a bit apprehensive about mounting drives so as to copy the information from the array over to an external hard drive. I have looked extensively on the Internet and there is a lot of information, but as I state, I am new to this and was hoping for an "easy" method. Or, will I have to recommend a pro data recovery service?

If anyone has any ideas, or maybe a link to a good tutorial, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

I recommend starting by cloning each drive as a precaution and attempt recovery from the clones.

If the data is not readily accessible on either clone, I'd be happy to assist you remotely during my business hours.

I recommend starting by cloning each drive as a precaution and attempt recovery from the clones.

If the data is not readily accessible on either clone, I'd be happy to assist you remotely during my business hours.
OK. Thanks.

Back