Printers Going Offline

Vicenarian

Reaction score
Background:

3 Computers (all connected to router via WiFi), 1 printer connected via WiFi, one printer shared from Windows laptop connected via WiFi. Computers running a mix of Windows 7, 8, 10.

So, basically the story is this: the customer tells me that printers randomly go offline, and they have to restart the router to get printing working again. The customer tells me that internet keeps working even when the printer(s) go offline, but no printing? I'm not onsite when this happens, and they have to get printing back up and running fast, so I really can't diagnose the issue when the problem occurs. It seems to have this issue maybe 2-3 times a day...some days it doesn't even happen, so yeah.

What I've tried:

- Checking wireless signal strength; router is only maybe 20 feet away from computers/printers, and signal strength is 4/5, or 5/5 bars on the computers. Router is only 2.4 Ghz N, so no 5 Ghz involved here.
- Router was replaced by ISP with exact same model only a short while ago, as a troubleshooting step (before I got involved), but that hasn't helped.
- Set printer to static IP address out of DHCP range, also did that for computer acting as a print server. Disabled firewall on print server PC, disabled USB power management (since printer is connected via USB to printer server computer), checked for other devices that have the same static IP set as the printer/print server PC (none), disabled SNMP monitoring on clients that access the WiFi printer, set the WiFi printer's IP address (instead of hostname) as the port for that printer for clients computers
- Updated firmware on WiFi printer, and maybe some other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

So, what else could I be missing? I'm guessing setting a static wireless channel might help (it's currently on auto), but why then would the internet still work on the wireless PCs, when printing doesn't? Or maybe the customer isn't quite right on that? There doesn't seem to be much (any) wireless interference from other routers, since neighboring businesses are pretty far away. This particular ISP-supplied router hasn't given me any issues like this at other customer locations, when set for the auto wireless channel configuration, so that makes me wonder too what's going on.

Anyway, sorry for the long post; thinking of just running a wired network connection, but it's a bit hard at this location due to the way rooms are arranged.

ISP routers with built in WiFi are poop. Curious if a dedicated router would make it better?

If they're running all their PCs and printers using wireless, it doesn't surprise me that they're having problems. ISP-provided routers usually can't consistently handle that level of traffic.

A dedicated, business-level router would probably help quite a bit, plus it would have the advantage of isolating the customer's network from the ISP. But to get a rock-solid network, using wired connections wherever possible is the way to go.

Last year we picked up a new SMB customer that had 8 PCs and 3 printers connected wireless to an ISP-provided router. They had all kinds of network issues: slowdowns, lost connectivity, you name it they had it. Adding a business-class router cleaned up almost all problems. Then took it the next step by connecting almost everybody wired -- they still have one PC that is wireless, but things are just fine due to reduced wireless traffic. Overall, haven't had a bit of a problem since then, plus they're really happy with the improved speed the wired connections provides.

In addition to what glricht mentioned (which is rock solid advice), I'd think about checking into
updating the firmware on that printer. I do know that I've run into HP printers recently that had
issues where if the computer went to sleep, the printer would appear offline and stay offline
unless you rebooted the computer.

It drove me nuts, but eventually I came to trying to update the firmware and it worked well.

Just something to think about, but yeah you should get them on a proper business grade
router and run ethernet drops wherever you can to the workstations. Great advice there.

Change the router or put a wired Ethernet printer on the network and most (if not all) of his problems will go away. So many of my calls are due to wireless printers falling off the network.

So, an update.

It looks like the wireless was the issue. Put a new wireless router in, and everything works fine. Thanks everyone. :)

PS: The ISP in fact did not change their ISP-supplied router, even though they apparently said they did...which is what really threw me off at first.

Back