PortableApps

i used to use the package but it doesn't handle sub folders, everything needs to hang off the main app folder so categorizing (disk tools, av tools etc) can't be achieved. That kind of thinking went out with DOS 2.0. i gave it away after a while and just set up my thumb drive sensibly using some of the useful portable apps.

GE Geek Toolkit makes much more sense from a tech point of view. It has a little launch app but more importantly the tools are categorized in folders so it's very easy to find what you need. It also uses a great update tool.

Call it overkill (and I guess you would be right), but I keep Portable Apps and Geek Toolkit on my working 32 Gig drive.

Actually, I do find myself using Windows Repair Toolbox most of all, however. Even as the break/fix model is crashing and burning, there are a lot of great tools available.

I use the launch menu from Hiren Boot CD to launch portable applications that are in 7zip archives. In this way, they can run any portable application offline or online (in miniXP or installed Windows).

Last edited:
I used the PA launcher for a while. I found it slow and clunky. Now I just extract individual portableapps and use them without the launcher.

Back