Phew, glad that's over!

Larry Sabo

Reaction score
I finally got my website rebuilt in Wordpress on another host, within days of MSFT discontinuing hosting of sites like mine. (The hosting service availability stops at the end of March but my annual subscription ends in 2 days.) It was my first WP site, and a learning experience.

Big thanks to Tyler Moore for his excellent tutorial (How To Make a WordPress Website - UPDATED!) on YouTube, to Oceanwp for a great, free and user-friendly theme, to the makers of the several plugins required, and to the support people at Canspace.ca for their indulgence of an idiot like me. :) I need to work on SEO but the site is functional at least. Phew!

Okay, have at it. Any major concerns? What would you suggest to make it better (besides the SEO)?

Last edited:
Looks good. I'd have a phone number or something right up there on the home page so people can get straight to you. I know you've got one on the 'Contact' page, but that's a click some might not make. I see you've got Yoast installed - that does a pretty good job of SEO. If you haven't already, get Google to re-crawl your new site.

Thanks, @Mick! Yeah, I want so much to get a phone number in the header but can't figure out how? The theme doesn't allow a header Tag line, Oceanwp confirms. I haven't figured out how to put my meta tags into Yoast; the options I see are not comprehensive like in the several YouTube tutorials, but more effort required. How do I get Google to re-crawl the new site?

EDIT: Added the phone number on the home page; not as good as in the header but an improvement! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Google re-crawl: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en
You may need to directly fool about with the header/CSS - not too sure, because I haven't used this particular theme. If you do, make yourself a child theme first off and experiment with that - not with the original theme files. Reason being that when /if your theme is upgraded, you'll lose any customisations.

Edit: Oh - just had another look. That'll do :)

I remember viewing your old website and this is definitely an upgrade from the previous. I actually really like the home page. The background you used gives me that comfort feeling so to speak.

Thanks @cypress and @Mick. I've re-indexed the site and it went well. Just had to copy the Google html for indexing to the root of the homepage. The picture I chose for a home page background seems appropriate, given that my territory is the Ottawa Valley.

I finally got my website rebuilt in Wordpress on another host, within days of MSFT discontinuing hosting of sites like mine. (The hosting service availability stops at the end of March but my annual subscription ends in 2 days.) It was my first WP site, and a learning experience.

Big thanks to Tyler Moore for his excellent tutorial (How To Make a WordPress Website - UPDATED!) on YouTube, to Oceanwp for a great, free and user-friendly theme, to the makers of the several plugins required, and to the support people at Canpace.ca for their indulgence of an idiot like me. :) I need to work on SEO but the site is functional at least. Phew!

Okay, have at it. Any major concerns? What would you suggest to make it better (besides the SEO)?
V-E-R-Y nice Larry.
Congratulations!
I am going to have to drive up there just so that you can show me the scenery :)
One small comment is that for me, the whitish font of 'Kanata, Stittsville' on the home page is difficult to read against the beautiful water.
However, YMMV.

Edit: Do you really want clients at your home at midnight?! 10:30 – *12:00 AM*; 2:30 – 5:30 PM and 8:30 – 10:00 PM

Do you really want clients at your home at midnight?! 10:30 – *12:00 AM*; 2:30 – 5:30 PM and 8:30 – 10:00 PM
Awk! Thanks Allan! I'll fix that. The Gatineau hills are lovely but I can't find a picture of them right now, and time was of the essence, so this shot came close. :)

Thanks, too, @Barcelona, @JustInTech and @callthatgirl. Now that the pressure is off, I'll tidy things up and attend to that SEO. Thanks for the guide, Lisa!

Last edited:
Back