PDF preview in Outlook

rhsiv

Reaction score
We have recently seen a problem in Outlook, 3x in the last week where PDF preview is not working. Outlook shows a message that says there's no program associated with the file type to preview this file. Meanwhile, all settings seem to be correct. Once, I went and added a registry entry and that (may have )fixed it. The other 2 times, the problem seems to come and go at random times. The most recent time was on my personal computer. I tried some troubleshooting options I found on different forums, and none of them fixed them. Then, I stopped working on it, spoke with my business partner for a while, came back and it was working correctly. Has anyone else seen similar issues? I'm starting to think that this is NOT an Outlook problem, but maybe a Windows problem?

I've run into similar issues in the past, but it was usually a trust center setting or something like that. In this case, everything I've checked has been correct.

It's an Adobe Reader problem. At least it was for me in the 4-5 similar cases I've seen recently.

They seem to have automatically upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit Reader which breaks compatibility with 32-bit Outlook. Uninstall Adobe Reader then re-install the 32-bit version fixed it every time for me.

You can get the 32-bit download here - https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

I had one of these yesterday. The email showed a PDF file as attached, but when we downloaded it, we got a .htm file. I told the user at the time that the sender must not have created the file correctly - ha, there's a diagnostic failure. I guess I'll send them an email offering a second try to fix it. Good call - @SAFCasper .

I haven't used Adobe Reader in a long time. I assign PDF duties to Chrome or Edge which ever is the default browser as it will probably be open already. What is Adobe Reader offering the user that Chrome/Edge doesn't? We're talking about reading PDFs not editing, right?

I haven't used Adobe Reader in a long time. I assign PDF duties to Chrome or Edge which ever is the default browser as it will probably be open already. What is Adobe Reader offering the user that Chrome/Edge doesn't? We're talking about reading PDFs not editing, right?
The ability to properly deal with paper sizes that aren't letter for one...

I despise browser PDF view, it's crap. Adobe Reader has search, index, text select, and a horde of other things too. Home users can get away with a quick view via edge, but every business I support runs into issues if they don't at least have Reader installed at some point.

And Heaven help them if they need to work with paper sizes larger than letter...

It's an Adobe Reader problem. At least it was for me in the 4-5 similar cases I've seen recently.

They seem to have automatically upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit Reader which breaks compatibility with 32-bit Outlook. Uninstall Adobe Reader then re-install the 32-bit version fixed it every time for me.

You can get the 32-bit download here - https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/
We found this to fix it once, but it was actually the exact opposite! haha. Ours had updated to 32-bit and we had to get it back to 64. But that has not been the issue every time we've faced this. Obviously, it's a minor annoyance, but some users, think everything is broken.

Unless your computer cannot support x64 software, you should be updating MSO to a x64, not downgrading Adobe reader x32.

I do this all the time for clients when performing a tune-up. The only complication is whether they know their Microsoft credentials.

The MSO download from Microsoft has been x64 for a couple of years. You can directly select x64 or x32 using the other link.

Uninstall all MSO x32 versions, reboot and upgrade to x64. Outlook settings, recent history etc will be just as they were.

Then perform a repair on Adobe reader

Unless your computer cannot support x64 software, you should be updating MSO to a x64, not downgrading Adobe reader x32.

It's never that straightforward. Just because something better/newer is available doesn't mean it's a good idea to upgrade.

Re-installing Adobe Reader is a 5 minute job. Re-installing Office is easily 30 minutes on a slower machine or potentially much longer with not so great internet speeds.

Then you have other potential complications with Office. Do you know the licence details to re-activate it? Are add-ons and integrations compatible? Do they have other standalone Office products (eg. Visio, Project) which also need upgraded to 64-bit because you can't mix them.

All this for what benefit to the client? 99% won't notice any difference running 32-bit vs 64-bit Office.

This isn't me saying avoid 64-bit Office as I use it for most new installs. But I don't think upgrading purely for the sake of upgrading is worth the time/effort/risk for the very little benefit it offers. I'll let people naturally upgrade to 64-bit as they buy new computers or new versions of Office.

I use 32bit office almost exclusively due to a horde of reasons. The only benefit of doing 64bit is to allow Outlook, Excel, and Access to use more than 4gb of RAM. The other apps won't ever use enough RAM for this to matter.

That being said, M365 gives admins the ability to specify all this on the back end, and stations will update to the selected release automatically. So the manual reinstall mess is only for home users these days.

Reactivation shouldn't be a concern at all, because you shouldn't be installing unless it's via the office.com login provided by the client. If you have it, you can do it, if you don't... you don't.

I had it on my PC, manually added the registry entries mentioned in the following link and that fixed it.

It's never that straightforward. Just because something better/newer is available doesn't mean it's a good idea to upgrade.

Re-installing Adobe Reader is a 5 minute job. Re-installing Office is easily 30 minutes on a slower machine or potentially much longer with not so great internet speeds.

Then you have other potential complications with Office. Do you know the licence details to re-activate it? Are add-ons and integrations compatible? Do they have other standalone Office products (eg. Visio, Project) which also need upgraded to 64-bit because you can't mix them.

All this for what benefit to the client? 99% won't notice any difference running 32-bit vs 64-bit Office.

This isn't me saying avoid 64-bit Office as I use it for most new installs. But I don't think upgrading purely for the sake of upgrading is worth the time/effort/risk for the very little benefit it offers. I'll let people naturally upgrade to 64-bit as they buy new computers or new versions of Office.
@SAFCasper

As this is a tech-to-tech thread, I did not feel the need for remedial instruction regarding issues that arise with any upgrade e.g., license keys etc.

If one is performing a thorough tune up, upgrading from x32 to x64 client apps is a meaningful activity where possible and practical. Otherwise, one is only delaying important performance advantages due to perceived compatibility risks. I don't mind burning an hour or two to debunk or confirm "bad idea" paths.

Isn't that how we all learn?

If one is performing a thorough tune up, upgrading from x32 to x64 client apps is a meaningful activity where possible and practical.

Sure, if you change the context to a thorough tune-up I would consider upgrading Office a worthwhile task.

However, that's not what we were discussing when you suggested we should be upgrading Office not downgrading Adobe. We were discussing fixing a specific issue with PDF preview.

I also think you may overestimate the "important performance benefits" of x64 Office. Unless working with extremely large files and datasets you will never see a difference in performance.

Last edited:
Back