Overclocking your graphics card, smooth and simple

Durinthiam

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Overclocking can potentially destroy your computer, roll it into a ball and throw it over the other side of the universe, it can also potentially work very well. I am not to be held responsible for any damage to your hardware should there be any as the result of overlocking. Only attempt overclocking if you have an old rig that you want to test it out on before moving on or just an idiot who wants to watch their mobo crystalise

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815
Its just a registration entry. Let it enter it into the register and restart your PC. When you have it booted back up it will have all your settings unlocked

If you have an nVida card then open up your nVidia panel and goto "clock frequency settings" and hit "detect optimal settings", do this three times and your frequency is at its highest possible

If you have an ATI card then all you need is ATITool
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
and follow their tutorials and step by steps :)

Happy Overclocking Folks!

I dont understand why people are so desperate to overclock anything in their pc, why not spend some few extra bucks and get high end component they trying to overclock. Cause overclocking is like Speeding and sometimes you make to your destination and sometimes end up done when speeding.

Overclocking ranges from forcing your GFX card's GPU (graphic processing unit) and memory to run on higher clock speeds (MHz) to unlocking disabled pipelines on the board itself. It can give a performance boost, but it's usually relatively minor (a few extra FPS), and if done improperly and without adequate cooling, it can and will destroy the card. Not to mention it voids your warranty.

adding on to Jake's question. Overclocking isn't just limited to Graphics Cards. CPUs and Memory Rams can also be overclocked. Overclocking is a really basic concept actually. Overclocking a CPU...lets say u have a P4 that runs at 3.2, overclocking basically means u make the chip work faster than its set limit provided that u have the right cooling and voltage. So a 3.2 P4 can be ovreclocked to work at 3.6ghz.

Overclocking from my experience is almost less about getting that little extra bit of performance out of your computer and more about being able to brag and show off your '1337' setup to your friends, excitedly proclaiming "I've overclocked the CPU and the Graphics Card, bet my computer's TOTALLY AWESOME NOW!"...

I'm not saying this is a BAD thing, but in practise, without installing water-cooling and other extreme solutions to help with the overclocking, the extra 5-10% increase in overall performance you'll get (if your lucky!) is FAR outweighed by the risk of damaging your hardware and the other miscallaneous issues you'll have with the computer (random reboots, strange behaviour).

Overclocking almost seems to me like pimping out your computer with tonnes of cool stuff; You do it once when your a teenager, then realise it was just so you'd fit in with your LAN buddies. :)

Not really. I want to overclock my RAM and my other hardware because I want to get what I paid for. Sometimes, some hardware is good but you paid a lot of money for it. You would want to get the most out of that right?

Back