Outlook and Which Account Gets Focus Upon Opening

britechguy

Reaction score
This is something that's been driving me mad since someone asked about it recently, and I cannot seem to find the answer. My bet is that @callthatgirl knows this off the top of her head, and others might, too, but I sure don't.

When I open Outlook (2016, in this case, but I don't think it's version specific) I have focus placed on the inbox for one of the three accounts I have set up. I want to change the inbox that receives focus, by default, when Outlook opens initially. It does not matter if I rearrange the order in which the accounts are shown in the folder tree, nor changing the default account in account settings, the inbox that has always had focus keeps getting focus.

There has got to be a way to change this. What is it?!

set-outlook-default-folder.png

This?

Nope. Doesn't work, and I and many others have tried that.

However, your second suggestion is the, "And we have a winner!!," entry. Thank you very much indeed.

From all appearances and from what I remember of what accounts I configured, and in what order, the original value for that "Start Outlook in this folder" item is the Inbox of the first account set up, and it does not change until and unless you change it yourself or delete what had been the first account you configured.

Addendum: Several trainers, some of whom are also blind themselves, are singing your praises, even though they have no idea who you are! This has been "crazy making" for a number of Outlook users who are blind, and now it can be fixed.

Last edited:
Nope. Doesn't work, and I and many others have tried that.

However, your second suggestion is the, "And we have a winner!!," entry. Thank you very much indeed.

From all appearances and from what I remember of what accounts I configured, and in what order, the original value for that "Start Outlook in this folder" item is the Inbox of the first account set up, and it does not change until and unless you change it yourself or delete what had been the first account you configured.

Addendum: Several trainers, some of whom are also blind themselves, are singing your praises, even though they have no idea who you are! This has been "crazy making" for a number of Outlook users who are blind, and now it can be fixed.
You didn’t read the entire article because it mentions both issues. The screenshot is from the article. Glad it worked for you though.

You didn’t read the entire article because it mentions both issues.

Burnout from having seen many, too many, that started and ended with the "default account" suggestion that doesn't work. Thank you, again, for pulling out and highlighting a solution I had not been able to find. Sometimes "the silver platter" is needed, and having something presented on it is truly appreciated.

It's annoying that some useful Outlook settings are under Advanced! There's nothing advanced about wanting to choose which Inbox to open on startup...

The other one is "Show Apps in Outlook", near the top of Advanced settings. Unticking that moves the newly positioned icons for Mail/Calendar/Contacts from the left-hand side wasting lots of space, back to the bottom under the folder list.

Back