Outlook 2016 IMAP all new messages marked as Read

Rigo

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Business customer, about a dozen employees, with their domain hosted via cPanel.
100GB storage allowance and they maxed it up.
They need to keep messages for 7 years for compliance so they can't just delete to make space.
Any higher allowance would require setting up a virtual server with the increased costs.
My work around was to also create POP3 accounts for auto backup to PST and maintenance, auto delete after 14-days.
Now all newly received messages on IMAP are already marked as READ.
Which is now creating a problem in tracking new messages.
I've got the strong suspicion the POP3 is triggering the new phenomenon.
Any idea/work-around to help them out please?

There's plenty of email archiving options out there. First thing I'd do is get a handle on the technical requirements. Such as will the need to maintain audit logs for things like access dates and times.

about a dozen employees, with their domain hosted via cPanel.
100GB storage allowance
OL-Higgins.jpg

Your POP access is flipping the "read" flag - don't think you can change that. They (or their industry) have written the rules for you to follow - I think they need to bite the bullet and spend more for a real solution. Microsoft365 with appropriate archiving. The time for workarounds is over.
This x1000. Microsoft 365 solves all of this. If they have regulations they must follow then this should be an easy upsell.

Which is now creating a problem in tracking new messages.

What's the problem with tracking?

Using IMAP will sync with the phone and online so if an Outlook is not matching up, a new profile is the answer.
I'm an advocate of using PST for storage, should not change how IMAP works

My work around was to also create POP3 accounts for auto backup to PST and maintenance, auto delete after 14-days.
Instead of creating POP3 accounts, you can use Outlook's Autoarchive feature to move emails automatically from IMAP folders to archive folders in a PST file after an elapsed time. You might only need to set this up on one PC, but don't forget the PST file(s) will need backing up regularly.

What's the problem with tracking?
New messages in IMAP are no longer distinctly in bold and obvious, that's the complaint.
They are using IMAP as default and that's got no problem.
I myself refer to the date and time received but that's me 🙂

you can use Outlook's Autoarchive feature to move emails automatically from IMAP folders to archive folders
That sounds like a good idea if it doesn't result in flipping the read flag.
I'll have to experiment on mine first to confirm.
Thx

Back