[SOLVED] OpenOffice file locked after Win8.1 refresh

Calx

Reaction score
Weird one and I can't find an answer on google.

Try to open office document from within Documents folder, get an error message saying file is locked for editing by unknown user.

There are no ~lock files to be seen (or hidden)
If I open a copy as suggested, it will not save in My Docs folder. - no error message it just won't save.

If I move the file to the desktop it will open no problem. And it will save no problem.

Other types of files in documents open no prob. It is limited to OpenOffice.

Ownership appears correct. Machine is using a MS Account.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?
thanks

Have you tried copying to either Desktop or Temp (and opening), then delete the one in My Docs, and then copy the one from Desktop/Temp back into My Docs?

I know it doesn't provide an answer, but it may provide a solution :)

Andy

Have you tried copying to either Desktop or Temp (and opening), then delete the one in My Docs, and then copy the one from Desktop/Temp back into My Docs?

I know it doesn't provide an answer, but it may provide a solution :)

Andy
If I copy it back in it won't open. It is most odd it will open on the desktop though. Suggests permissions in Documents? I am stumped.

May also be worth running CHKDSK, SFC, SUBINACL etc (prior to copying and replacing)

Andy
Chkdsk clear. Running SFC Now Not heard of SUBINACL

Thanks Andy

subinacl.exe is a great tool to have. How did you look at the contents of the Documents folder? For something like this I always prefer to use cli. dir /a

I'd try to reinstall OO.

The refresh is only to supposed to reinstall Windows files and leave the existing applications and files unmolested but something may have broke in the process.

Back