New Pixel 2...after 2 hours, system update, dead

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So today I got a Pixel 2, my prior Moto Droid Z starting have battery issues.
Got it swapped out at Verizon, got back to my office, did my Google account restore, apps all set, went through the painful process of re-doing my Microsoft Authenticator and my 2FA accounts.

The Pixel was doing the usual new phone out of the box kajillion updates of apps, did 1x system update, I got home, saw another system update, 8.1.0 let it rip. She never came back up for air.

pixel.jpg

My choices via up/down on volume change from Recovery Mode you see in the picture, Restart bootloader, Download mode, Barcodes, Power Off, Start. Pressing the power button on any of them results in nothing but a quick power cycle and you stare at basically the same screen again. (well, barcode brings up a screen with 3x barcodes). But recovery Mode doesn't seem to go anywhere but...the same screen you see above.

I'll be offline for the evening, so can't provide more answers now. I'll be at my HQ at 0730 tomorrow...frustrated with it. Called the Verizon store and he has another on order..but it won't be in until Friday.

Was lovin' this little phone for the 2 hours it was running. As I described the problem he was looking online and said a few other Pixel owners had the same thing with the Oreo update.

LOL. Crap like this is why I went to iOS a long time ago. I may hate Apple, but at least their updates are consistent and they don't load their phones full of bloatware. It's the lesser of two evils. Using an Android phone is like buying a Windows Vista HP machine with all the bloatware with NO WAY to remove it and actually get a clean experience. In other words, utter misery.

The good thing about the Pixel is that it has a relatively clean version of Android. If I had to buy an Android smartphone, I'd probably choose the Pixel. But still, I hate most of the apps that come with Android. The Gmail app is the worst. And Android Wear is dead in the water. Android is so fragmented and so buggy, I just can't bring myself to use it. I bought a Note 8 a few months back just to test how things were going. It's the same old BS. SO full of bloatware it's basically unusable. You can't even swipe from screen to screen without it stuttering.

I was thinking about trying the Pixel 2 in the next few months, but your posts has convinced me not to even bother. It's the same old BS.

Well that stinks. I went from my Moto X 2014 to Pixel 2, regular size. The phone has been great. Battery life is good, and it's snappy. Plenty of storage which I don't really use much of... camera seems great but I'm not a big camera guy any more. Fingerprint reader thing is awesome, super fast... lots of app support.

What I don't like is the very narrow/tall screen. That's about it. It makes using ScreenConnect a bit of a chore. I really liked the form factor and screen of the Moto X 2014. I guess my next phone will have more of a square screen if I can find one.

Anyhow, bummer about the update. I'm sure you'll be very happy once you get it sorted out though. It's a great phone.

Using an Android phone is like buying a Windows Vista HP machine with all the bloatware with NO WAY to remove it and actually get a clean experience.

o_O There may be stuff installed, but on most phones that I've dealt with you can at least go into the properties for the app and uninstall updates, then disable the app.

Then of course there are the options that are well-supported by LineageOS, including I believe the Pixel family. That's not something I'd recommend to the casual user, but then again neither is purchasing a thousand-dollar iPhone without also getting extended Applecare so you don't have to worry about Apple bricking your device after you had third-party repairs done.

I haven't regularly used Apple products since 1991, but I'm willing to take Rossmann's word on it figuring that he has far more experience with them than I do.

L Using an Android phone is like buying a Windows Vista HP machine with all the bloatware with NO WAY to remove it and actually get a clean experience. In other words, utter misery.

Depends on which brand and carrier. Much like Windows..if you do your research you can find good ones. Just stay away from the cheapo models from some carriers. One of the reasons I always loved Motorola phones in the past, aside from their usually good quality of the upper models, was Motorola was one of the few brands to keep a bare/slim/clean Android install on their systems. No weird manufacturer bloated skins and minimal Verizon crap on it.

Apple has been known to have some bad updates. What's that one about intentionally making old models slow so users go out and buy new ones? Or ones that cause battery life to drop like mad. My wife and daughter have had their iPhones for a while and I've been to trips to the store for them to get their phones unborked after bum updates.

The Pixel, for the couple of hours I had it, was surprisingly lean, mean, and clean. Pure Android.

o_O There may be stuff installed, but on most phones that I've dealt with you can at least go into the properties for the app and uninstall updates, then disable the app.

Yes, you can uninstall SOME things. Others have been baked into the OS and can't be uninstalled. And if you disable them, it causes erratic behavior.

And yes, Apple's hardware is utter crap. The cost to buy and maintain an iPhone used to be a lot higher than a flagship Android device, but ever since Samsung started sealing the battery inside and making the screens impossible to replace, they're just as much if not more to maintain than an iPhone. I personally use 3 iPhones in my business - and 8 Plus, 7 Plus, and a 6S Plus.

My last Android smartphone was the Samsung Galaxy S5, unless you count the LG Stylo 2 Plus that I got free free from my carrier just for renewing my service. I used it for a few days, but I couldn't handle the sluggishness and the overall instability so I sold it on Craigslist and just washed my hands of it. And I tried the Note 8 for about a week a few months ago. It wasn't quite as slow or buggy as the Stylo, but the Note 8 was nearly $1,000 whereas the Stylo was only about $250.

And the Note 8 was still slower than my 6S Plus. In fact, I notice NO difference in performance or stability between my three iPhones. I freaking HATE the iPhone X. Tried one for a week before I returned it. What a POS device that was. Buggy, crashing, ugly a$$ notch, smaller looking screen, gestures you have to memorize...

I just freaking hate smartphones. They all suck. It's just a matter of finding one that sucks the least for you. And for me, that's the iPhone. Though if the only option were the iPhone X, I think I'd go back to Android. Let's hope that the abysmal sales numbers of the iPhone X is a hint to Apple that they're going in the WRONG direction.

Depends on which brand and carrier. Much like Windows..if you do your research you can find good ones. Just stay away from the cheapo models from some carriers. One of the reasons I always loved Motorola phones in the past, aside from their usually good quality of the upper models, was Motorola was one of the few brands to keep a bare/slim/clean Android install on their systems. No weird manufacturer bloated skins and minimal Verizon crap on it.

Apple has been known to have some bad updates. What's that one about intentionally making old models slow so users go out and buy new ones? Or ones that cause battery life to drop like mad. My wife and daughter have had their iPhones for a while and I've been to trips to the store for them to get their phones unborked after bum updates.

The Pixel, for the couple of hours I had it, was surprisingly lean, mean, and clean. Pure Android.

I've never personally tried a clean version of Android. All I know is that I've never experienced a good user experience on an Android device. Even back when I used Android smartphones exclusively, it was never a good experience. I got fed up one day after my Samsung Galaxy S5 updated and became slow as molasses so I went in and bought the S6. Only after I got it home did I realize that the battery was SEALED and to add insult to injury, it was just as slow as my S5 was. So I said f*ck it and I returned it and exchanged it for an iPhone.

It was a difficult switch. iOS is a much more primitive operating system and the iPhone feels like you're chained down with no freedom. But I use my phone for my BUSINESS. What was more important...having fun on my phone and having lots of freedom, or not missing phone calls or dropping phone calls, or having my phone bricked because of a stupid update that's only going to make the experience WORSE than it was before? I chose the most stable option, because a missed phone call can potentially cost me HUNDREDS of dollars. I wish for a Micro SD card slot every day of my life with the iPhone.

I hate Apple with a passion and I hate having to support such an evil company. But if I want a stable smartphone that doesn't give me grief every time I turn it on, my only option is Apple. And now that I've gotten used to the Apple Watch and Airpods, I can't imagine doing my job without them. Yes, I could use a Bluetooth headset (I always have in the past), but Android Wear is dead in the water and I haven't been impressed with the offerings for Android wearables. Not having to take my phone out of my pocket has been a lifesaver, and the ability to use the watch to answer my phone is something I can't give up either.

I've tried many different Bluetooth headsets over the years, but they don't always answer the phone when you press the button or tap them. I don't know if it's the headsets themselves or just crappy, unstable Android (my money is on Android), but the number of calls I'd miss because the stupid headsets wouldn't answer the phone properly made me always have to take the dam*ed phone out in order to answer my calls - at which point the headset seems redundant.

I have no desire for a buggy, slow phone that doesn't work with any of its accessories properly. Even if Android devices were completely FREE, I'd still buy an iPhone. It's not worth the missed calls and loss of business. I haven't had a dropped or missed call ever since I switched to iOS. Not even ONCE! It would be an almost daily occurrence back when I used Android smartphones.

I use Android phones exclusively.
Never had a "dropped call" or missed business because of a phone issue.
I always uninstall/disable all the crap. (Or as much as I can without breaking it)
I've never experienced "slowness" on ANY Android phone I've ever used and certainly never like "molasses!"
I always run an AV designed for mobile.
I always update, in fact all my phones are set to update automatically. This includes my Android tablets as well.
Never had a problem - ever.
I'm not an Android "fanboy" nor do I care one iota for Google, (or Apple for that matter) but I have to say I've never had a problem.
My phones/tablets do/have all work/worked perfectly with my Philips bluetooth headset, my Philips bluetooth headphones, my (cheap chinese) Denko bluetooth handsfree car accessory, my JBL bluetooth speakers, my Soniq Smart TV when I'm streaming and my laptop when I pair it to transfer the odd pic/.mp3. In fact, I've never had a pairing issue. My Philips headphones can also answer calls automatically, which has never failed when I'm out jogging while listening to music and a call comes in.
Oh, and BTW. My battery lasts at least 2 days with normal use. (typical of every phone I've ever owned)

Corrupted bootloader. It is a brick. You might be able to download the latest factory image from Google and reflash it from ADB.

But I use my phone for my BUSINESS. What was more important...having fun on my phone and having lots of freedom, or not missing phone calls or dropping phone calls, or having my phone bricked because of a stupid update that's only going to make the experience WORSE than it was before? I chose the most stable option, because a missed phone call can potentially cost me HUNDREDS of dollars.

Oh same here..same here. Been that way for ~25 years....starting with some big Nokia in the early to mid 90's. Motorola Startac still my favorite cell phone of all time! I don't do games or banking apps or much on my phone except....mobile device manager, encrypting it, my Outlook to Exchange, Skype for Biz, and just a couple of Ubiquiti apps for installation of their hardware or watching their video cams. No games, no personal "fun" apps. Lean and mean and clean!

My prior Moto's blew away my wifes latest 'n so called greated iPhone for reception....she's a successful Realtor and always on her phone, and often her calls with get fuzzy or "I cant hear you now" on her iPhone when mine are strong and clear. And I enjoyed my battery run time of ..oh...2 whole freaking days, when my wife was reaching for her charge before lunch the same day!

Summation...all cell phone "types" are prone to hiccups and issues.

" Samsung Galaxy S5 updated and became slow as molasses so I went in and bought the S6. Only after I got it home did I realize that the battery was SEALED ...So I said f*ck it and I returned it and exchanged it for an iPhone"

Don't iPhones also have sealed batteries too?

In my house we have 3 Google Pixel 2 phones. One standard size and 2 are the XL model. We have had them for 3 or 4 months. Super happy with the phones. Love the clean OS without other manufactures bloatware.
Get your replacement today and don't look back.
Sorry for your issue.

I, too, use my phone for business and that is why I have a BlackBerry KeyONE. Powered by Android, I have all the apps while also have the speed and accuracy of the querty keyboard when communicating with my clients.

Don't iPhones also have sealed batteries too?

No, not really. All you have to do to replace an iPhone battery is undo 2 screws and use a suction cup to lift the screen. It takes 5 minutes. Of course, I preferred the way the Samsung Galaxy S5 and previous phones used to be where you could just pop off the back and take out the battery with your fingers...no tools required. But those days are long gone.

I've never been stupid enough to drop my phone and damage the screen, but if I damage the screen on the iPhone, it's a simple 5 minute fix as well. This combined with the 100% clean OS experience is why I use an iPhone, despite hating Apple and Mac OS.

LOL. Crap like this is why I went to iOS a long time ago. I may hate Apple, but at least their updates are consistent and they don't load their phones full of bloatware. It's the lesser of two evils. Using an Android phone is like buying a Windows Vista HP machine with all the bloatware with NO WAY to remove it and actually get a clean experience. In other words, utter misery.

The good thing about the Pixel is that it has a relatively clean version of Android. If I had to buy an Android smartphone, I'd probably choose the Pixel. But still, I hate most of the apps that come with Android. The Gmail app is the worst. And Android Wear is dead in the water. Android is so fragmented and so buggy, I just can't bring myself to use it. I bought a Note 8 a few months back just to test how things were going. It's the same old BS. SO full of bloatware it's basically unusable. You can't even swipe from screen to screen without it stuttering.

I was thinking about trying the Pixel 2 in the next few months, but your posts has convinced me not to even bother. It's the same old BS.
I love my pixel 2. it has no more bloatware than your apple does.

This is why I refuse to spend $700 on a phone. I use $200 or less devices, and treat them as the disposable nightmares they are. That's all they ever will be, forking over enough cash to purchase a solid business grade desktop that doesn't last 18 months is foolish.

This is why I refuse to spend $700 on a phone. I use $200 or less devices, and treat them as the disposable nightmares they are. That's all they ever will be, forking over enough cash to purchase a solid business grade desktop that doesn't last 18 months is foolish.
except you can fit this computer in your front pocket. it has value.

Last edited:

Goes nice with my 1700 dollar Carbon X1 laptop and my 95 or 160 dollar silk Tommy Bahama and other custom Hawaiian shirts. Should I mention I love some rare model Cole Haan hand made tassel shoes? You don't even wanna know what they cost! :) Other than great food (a lot of my dinners I cook up cost more than some families food budgets for a whole week!), things for my wife, and high end vacations...I really don't splurge on much else in my life. All through granted phone billz go through the biz.

Our business goes after higher end biz clients, so we like to...practice what we preach.

Having 1x cell phone "DOA" right after purchase, after 25 years of cell phones...I can't complain. And I get more than 18 months out of 'em for sure...I don't like switching phones, especially with all these two factor setups..pain in the butt to go setup again (esp all the O365 stuff 2FA cuz all my apps need auth passwords again)

I freaking HATE the iPhone X. Tried one for a week before I returned it. What a POS device that was. Buggy, crashing, ugly a$$ notch, smaller looking screen, gestures you have to memorize...
Took me about a day to get used to the gestures to use instead of a home button you click. Now picking up and using any other iPhone feels archaic. FaceID just works and I forget it's there.

Back