My Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 Experiences

iladelf

Reaction score
No, I won't post how you can find this in the ether (if you're a repair guy reading this, you can find it), but I've downloaded and test-installed the new Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100. Must say I'm mighty impressed; installed quickly on an old ancient IDE HDD, boots and shuts down fast (saw shutdown times of around 5-7 seconds), and generally runs BETTER than XP.

Can't believe I actually said the last part of that line. Although there seemed to be a few "urps" (like sounds still being on after I turned them off for web-surfing navigation; had to do it twice), all-in-all, pretty slick. Granted, I'm early in the testing stages, but still... :)

The only driver it didn't seem to find was for my NeatReceipts scanner (who cares), and the IDE drivers are the standard MS ones, but this puppy flies!

Look forward to others' experiences.

Last edited:
i'm waiting for the official release but i liked the beta a lot. a huge improvement from vista and how it was a resource hog.

I have not had the time to try out windows 7 but how is the compatibility with games and apps?.
That is what threw a wrench into vista many customers i have have custom software they payed 30-40k for it and don't want to have to pay that again for a version that runs in another version of windows.​

Well, Galdorf, so far the apps I normally install on XP installed and worked fine on 7 (like Firefox, Spywareblaster, et. al).

Haven't tried any games or anything. And haven't looked for the virtual XP mode thingy yet, either.

I'm using build 7100 now and the only problem I have had has been with deamon tools. Over all I really like it. Going from Windows Vista to Windows 7 was like going from Windows ME to XP Pro SP2.

@iladelf, the virtual xp mode isn't out yet

@gunslinger xp pro sp2, that should be sp3, ;) only teasing

Back