My Latest Addition to my Library

I used to feel the same until I realised that I could fit hundreds or even thousands of books in my pocket, that they contained exactly the same words as the printed edition, and that many classic works are available completely (and legally) free from sources such as Project Gutenberg.

Spending a couple of years on the road with extremely limited storage space was the clincher - no more dead trees for me!

I rather actusl books, not digital format; just me.
You're not the only one. I use digital but that's 99.9999% technical stuff in nature. Many gigs worth on my Owncloud server and what's needed locally on my iPad. The last technical book I bought was a Linux one back in '07 or so. Around 3 non-technical books. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Gulag Archipelago, and The Aquariums of Pyongyang.

I have a keen interest in technology, evolution of technology, primitive technology.
I've also always had an interest in Nikola Tesla. Matter of fact, just last week I watched a 5 part mini series on Tesla...it was on Amazon. It came out in 2018, and has some updated info based on some recently declassified CIA documents.

For those who have any interest in the story of Nikola Tesla...it's worth the time.

I was an avid reader and quite proud of my library which contained some 2000+ books. But Mrs GTP, (before she lost her battle with breast cancer) being very "houseproud," didn't like the constant dusting or smell of old musty books in her nice clean home - so they had to go.
At about the height of her complaining the advent of the internet meant that I no longer needed to keep them as most were available online from sites like Project Gutenberg and others anyway.
I donated them to my local library. The books covered a wide range of subjects from "Australiana" to physics and space sciences.

I did keep several that I couldn't bare to part with, like "Fair Girls and Grey Horses" by Will.H. Ogilvie.
It was written and published in 1913, took me years to find and cost a small fortune to possess.

I also kept two books of poetry from "The Banjo" (A.B. "Banjo" Patterson) and "The Complete Works Of Henry Lawson."

I've also written about 300+ poems and stories, mainly "bush ballads," poems about horses and young love.
I started writing for my Daughter when she was in Pony Club.

I also kept my other most favorite book/s namely "The First Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever," and "The Second Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever."

The aforementioned books are just too precious to get rid of.

I purchased a Kobo ereader quite some years ago and I've got about 2000+ ebooks loaded into it but it hasn't been switched on for years now.

Unfortunately, I dont get much time to read now. There are a plethora of sites like Spotify that have a selection of free or low priced subscription services for Audiobooks and I can always watch a documentary on any subject that interests me on FreeTube..

Back