My dad started Computer repair service

Jordan Makarevski

Reaction score
Hello guys, my dad is opening a computer repair service. We live in a small town with population around 40 000 - 50 000 people. There aren't many computer repair services in our city only 2 but they suck. My dad is 50 years old and he is really good with computers. He has been working with computer 25 years and more. I need some tips from you guys how to make the business grow, how to get more customers, how to spread the word that it is opened and if you think computer repair service is a good idea. He is enthusiastic about this business and I haven't seem him that excited for working in a long time. I really hope this business doesn't disappoint him because he really loves his job and cares about his customers very much. I need advice how to help him with the job and how to get customers.
Thanks

Hello guys, my dad is opening a computer repair service. We live in a small town with population around 40 000 - 50 000 people. There aren't many computer repair services in our city only 2 but they suck. My dad is 50 years old and he is really good with computers. He has been working with computer 25 years and more. I need some tips from you guys how to make the business grow, how to get more customers, how to spread the word that it is opened and if you think computer repair service is a good idea. He is enthusiastic about this business and I haven't seem him that excited for working in a long time. I really hope this business doesn't disappoint him because he really loves his job and cares about his customers very much. I need advice how to help him with the job and how to get customers.
Thanks
Hi Jordan. I'd really recommend that you suggest your father actually join up here himself. That way he can ask specific questions when he runs into something or needs to talk about an idea he has. As it is, your question is very general, and we can only offer very general advice.

First rule to getting found is getting a good website. It doesn't need to be super slick looking or anything like that, but it does need to have certain things in the backend for it to get found. I'd suggest studying up on SEO (Seach Engine Optimization) as this is what lets a website get found easily on Google. For this I'd recommend a book by a member here @callthatgirl if you use Wordpress for the website. SEO For Wordpress. Also @goldmercury recently started a thread with some videos on SEO optimization here.

This thread made me think...I know google will try to lump a small cities local results to a nearby large city to increase competition but what actually happens if theres no other cities nearby? I wonder if google would actually let them have their own local results or if they simply wouldnt give them local results.

This thread made me think...I know google will try to lump a small cities local results to a nearby large city to increase competition but what actually happens if theres no other cities nearby? I wonder if google would actually let them have their own local results or if they simply wouldnt give them local results.

I get local results for my town of 5000 people, nearest city is 40 minutes away.

Hi Jordan. I'd really recommend that you suggest your father actually join up here himself. That way he can ask specific questions when he runs into something or needs to talk about an idea he has. As it is, your question is very general, and we can only offer very general advice.

First rule to getting found is getting a good website. It doesn't need to be super slick looking or anything like that, but it does need to have certain things in the backend for it to get found. I'd suggest studying up on SEO (Seach Engine Optimization) as this is what lets a website get found easily on Google. For this I'd recommend a book by a member here @callthatgirl if you use Wordpress for the website. SEO For Wordpress. Also @goldmercury recently started a thread with some videos on SEO optimization here.

Thanks a lot . Sure I will recommend him this site, I am sure he will be interested.

Advertising in a local phone directory brings in lots of new clients as well. I use it for my business and get lots of clients, also as stated a good website with awesome SEO is a must. This will bring your business to top rankings in search engines. Once one gets settled and has a large group of clients it's word of mouth from there. Also stomping around on the pavement going to local business's and handing over a business card helps put your business on the map.

I lump cities in my SEO blogs all the time, it works. What I have found is that if you make blogs that are not 100% the same but sorta the same, like H1 content especially. The ebook is pretty good for small towns because you can do all the surrounding towns too. Knock it out!

I lump cities in my SEO blogs all the time, it works. What I have found is that if you make blogs that are not 100% the same but sorta the same, like H1 content especially. The ebook is pretty good for small towns because you can do all the surrounding towns too. Knock it out!
I am thinking about making a page on facebook and pay for advertise. Around 10-15 euros boost for our city only, do you think that's a good idea ?

I am thinking about making a page on facebook and pay for advertise. Around 10-15 euros boost for our city only, do you think that's a good idea ?

Yeah and I think if you name it "your town computer repair" that's even better.

I have a few different Facebook pages that are doing well, but I've never been able to get the MCD IT page off the ground. It seems other businesses have difficulties also. Tangible products/services work well with Facebook but as computer repair is mostly non-tangible it doesn't seem to be easy to pull off.

Your mileage may vary, but it's definitely worth a shot!

Facebook advertising is hit and miss. I have been using it for a good few years. I find that boosting offers and boosting the actual Facebook page and your website, works the best. If you spend like $20.00 on ads, and you get 1 or 2 people from it... you're laughing.

I think alot of it depends on the market share you're going for.

Word of mouth is an incredible tool. Do right and impress one customer and they'll start referring to you as "their guy" and you'll usually get more business out of it.

Be conscious of the way you deal with customers as well. I made a BIG niche for myself in the elderly community when a neighbor asked for help. They're still very locally-minded and social. Those sorts of things go a long way.

A local Chamber of Commerce can be a great place to join. Past any higher levels of participation with other business, I usually get at least one call after each meeting asking about work. If you impress them they'll have you on speed dial.

And I say find one big community-based event to do once a year and go all-out once you're established for a bit. If you're really interested in having the community as your business base then you need to be active and involved in it. Go to Town Meetings, agree to volunteer for Tech-related advisory groups, get in touch with the local school system and offer to help.

A sign on the side of the road will be up for 30 days and will get ignored by a majority of the people driving by. An army of people to whom you offered exceptional service and WANT to promote you will find a targeted audience and give them a first-hand account of your services.

Back