MX Linux?

Diggs

Reaction score
MX Linux right now is by far the number one Linux distro over at DistroWatch. Twice the hits of Mint. I've ran it virtually but haven't installed and lived with it. Any daily drivers of it here? What's the appeal? It may have the hits at DistroWatch but I can't see that it has the installs.

Debian 10 base, XFCE UI? That's a competent, but unbloated solution to give you full desktop capabilities without burdening the system much.

In many ways this is Linux with a similar design methodology as Windows 10. Ok, massive differences here, but I'm meaning the explicit desire to keep Linux working on the widest range of hardware, while also delivering modern features. Except I'd expect this platform to be even better than Windows 10 at running on older hardware.

But that Debian base... I love Debian, but hardware support is often lacking. IF you can make it work on your platform, I'd expect you to be able to make more use of your hardware in user land than you could with Mint, Ubuntu or Windows. Just at a glance, this would be my go to as a desktop OS should I move over to Linux. Because in general I prefer stability at all cost in my platforms, and I'm willing to make the hardware support sacrifices to get it.

My general server Linux distro is still Debian.
My specialty server Linux distro has been this for quite some time, eg a tiny virtual platform to run java in support of Unifi... such a good thing here: https://alpinelinux.org/

Last edited:
My main desktop machine has been running MX for 3 years or so. For me, the draw is that it's standard Debian, comes with all the multimedia stuff ready to go out of the box, and runs well on older hardware. It comes with a nice looking XFCE desktop, which I don't use because I run Trinity Desktop. The custom-to-MX tools look fairly well put together, although I rarely use them.

Actually I'm about to switch to Emmabuntus, not due to any weakness in MX, but because I'd really like to find a Linux that's a workable solution for the average non-Linux user, and Emmabuntus is the best candidate I've seen in a while. Also, this MX installation is getting a bit long in the tooth, and it's time for a reinstall anyway.

it's indeed the number 1 in numbers of downloads within 'X' time period....(be it 1 month, 3 months, or even 6 months)

I'd personally be a little skeptical on thinking that more people are using it in lieu of Mint, Debian, or Ubuntu, etc...

I put MX Linux on an old Sony Vaio I had from the Core 2 era... the thing still has a 5400rpm platter in it.

It runs rather well... I still would prefer an SSD but for a junker for kids to beat up it does pretty well. It certainly performs better than Vista and Win 7 did on the same platform.

you can't go far wrong with Mint it's a pita with video drivers but after you resolve that awesome will retry mx but as i remember .....it didn't impress me ..... deepin look and performs well but is a bit chinese so as long as you bear that in mind worth a try zorin was ok too

That part of your post is like, lost in translation for me...or are you saying MX is lost in translation?
Sorry I forget that not everyone speaks and understands the more colloquial Worcestershire uk drawl i tend to type in apologise to you Gegen what i meant was if you are concerned about the possibility of it being a front for pulling sensitive data and giving it to the Chinese intelligence services like all the concern over Huawei, if so avoid Deepin if not it's nice looking and easy to use

Back