Multiple issues with windows 10 on clean installs

Galdorf

Reaction score
I still can't believe the amount of people having problems with windows 10 all the systems i built with windows 10 on clean installs are all having problems with broken start button and menus ,driver issues, software compatibility issues and hardware compatibility issues.
I put out 5 systems windows 10 pro the other day fresh installs as soon as they installed all current windows updates the start button and menu broke on all 5 also they all run sluggish and worked much better before the updates.
Microsoft really needs to fix these issues the last major revision causes so many issues with software it is just annoying most customers with quick books after the anniversary update crash/hard lock.
Also there are known issues with windows 10 updates not installing when an antivirus is installed.

http://www.windowscentral.com/heres-whats-been-fixed-and-whats-broken-windows-10-insider-build-14955

Last edited:
Galdorf, what is your workflow for these machines? Me thinks maybe something in your process is causing issues? Have loaded hundreds of machines now with 10 and it's been more or less trouble free for about a year now.

all the systems i built with windows 10 on clean installs
Using what version of the install ISO? Always use the latest ISO downloaded from MS (currently v1607 released in August). Don't use install media included with the Windows 10 license.

This is why I neuter every Windows 10 install I do. Sure, not having security updates isn't exactly a good idea, but you have to choose the lesser of 2 evils. Sort of like Trump and Hilary. BOTH suck, but you've gotta choose the one you dislike the least.

My Windows 10 issues have been almost non existent. I've been neutering Windows 10 by disabling the Windows Update service and I've been doing it ever since Microsoft fixed the WiFi issues in the early builds.

On the other hand I have TONS of systems coming in that are from new clients (never neutered) and they have problem after problem. The only way to fix some of these issues is a nuke, pave, & neuter. It's sad.

Reactions: GTP
So are you following up with these systems to see that they get patched? Because running without any patches is malpractice in my book.

Seeing as the options are:

1. Run without security updates and hope for the best.
2. Pray to God that Microsoft doesn't screw something up in the next build and bork your whole system.

I choose option 1 for my personal systems. I show clients how to enable the update service if they want to, but I make it clear that I'm not responsible if a MS update screws up their system.

For my personal systems, every 3 months or so I do a full system backup and then turn on the updates. My main master got borked last time, so I think I'm just going to keep the suckers off from now on. Screw security updates. The risk of MS borking your system is MUCH higher than you being targeted because you don't have the latest security updates.

In my experience Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7 pretty much no matter what you do. I'm still not really encouraging anyone to get it. And yes, they really seem to be blowing it on drivers. That said it really doesn't seem practical or prudent to disable the updates entirely...

Does the media creation tool download the latest build that is what i have been using strange thing is on all systems edge opens for 3 secs and closes after full updates even manually deleting and re-install via powershell dos not seem to fix the issue.

Does the media creation tool download the latest build that is what i have been using strange thing is on all systems edge opens for 3 secs and closes after full updates even manually deleting and re-install via powershell dos not seem to fix the issue.
No, you have to update the MCT to the latest version.

The tool @Porthos linked to is your best bet.

MS has serious update problems no way should it Bork the system.

I Was in a Microsoft store today looking at the Surface books they start at $2,000 CAD for the 128 HD
And go up to $4,200 for the 1 TB and 16 gig Ram they must think people are stupid they might be right some people are

Back