MS Cancelling Registered Refurbisher Program?

RocklandCompRepair

Reaction score
I just received this email from Microsoft. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were as to what might be next? Are they going to make it harder / more expensive for small businesses to legitimately resell computers?

I love the professional MS typo.... "October 1th, 2020"

---------------------------------------------
EMAIL CONTENTS BELOW
---------------------------------------------

June 2020 Update

Registered Refurbisher (RRP) Program Update

Take the time to read this update carefully on the upcoming program changes. Thank you for your attention.

This communication is to inform all Registered Refurbisher’s both Commercial & Citizenship that Microsoft will retire the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher Program effective October 1th, 2020.

Microsoft will not be renewing the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher Program Agreement, (including all extensions, the “Agreement”). However, to keep supporting our Register Refurbish Ecosystem, in the next couple of months we will be announcing a new path for partners to access licenses under the Refurbisher program.

Please note: The current Agreement is valid until June 30th, 2020. Microsoft hereby grants certain extensions to the Agreement as stated below.

RRP application

No new RRP applications will be processed after June 15th, 2020.

RRP COA Orders

Partners can order licenses (Commercial & Citizenship) until September 30th, 2020.
Starting October 1st, 2020 partners can no longer order RRP Licenses (Commercial & Citizenship).

Obtaining RRP Product keys

Partners can download product keys from the RRP portal and install on a Qualified PC until December 31st, 2020.
Downloaded Product keys will not expire and will be valid for use after program closure.
Partners will not be required to return unused COA.
Partners will not have access to download product keys after December 31st, 2020.
There are no refunds for the return of Citizenship COAs.

RRP Portal

The RRP portal will remain active until December 31st, 2020 except of COA ordering (available to September 30th 2020 only). Please ensure that all records are retrieved from the portal prior to December 31st, 2020.

Distribution

Partners may distribute Product on Refurbished PCs until stock is depleted.
Distribution rights in section 2 of the Agreement shall survive expiration or termination of Agreement only until the earlier of all Refurbished PC stock is sold or June 30, 2021.

Except as expressly set forth above, nothing in this communication shall be deemed to amend, waive, or modify the terms of the Agreement. Microsoft explicitly reserves all of its rights or remedies with respect to any other terms of the Agreement.

Acquiring and or distributing Product during this extension signifies Registered Refurbisher’s agreement to the terms of this extension.

FOR INFO: Feedback welcome

Please don't hesitate to contact your regional team at https://www.msregrefurb.com/RRPSite/ContactUs.aspx if you need information about anything in this update.

What do you think will happen? What new path will they reveal?

Will this be like the Action Pack cancellation, but then after push-back they did a reversal?

I'm not part of this program but have always wondered just what steps are needed to become an authorized refurbisher (we probably don't have the volume to make it worth it).

It’s being discontinued because it’s not needed anymore. M$ has always stated that if the system had a legible COA sticker and you could restore the machine to the as purchased state you were required to do so.

Windows 10 doesn’t have a COA sticker and OEM are expected to update system images to the latest build. Windows 10 has been out for 5 years now. Systems that originally shipped with Windows 10 are now entering the refurbished market. Windows 8 systems already will upgrade to Windows 10 without any kind of license purchase. Windows 7 is discontinued from support and those systems that shipped with Windows 7 while can be upgraded are getting harder to support. Yet they still upgrade and Microsoft does nothing to punish end users who do so.

It’s not needed anymore.

Except... it is... because the program allows the refurbisher to upgrade Home to Pro a ton less expensively than a full license.

I suspect this will follow the CSP program in that you'll have to be so big to register. Everyone else will have to buy through a larger vendor... which is the way I've been doing it anyway. Microsoft makes everything a channel eventually.

Last edited:
the program allows the refurbisher to upgrade Home to Pro a ton less expensively than a full license.
But honestly, who the heck does this? If you're reselling a home class computer, why would you upgrade it to Pro before selling it? If a business really needs pro, they should be using a business class computer that already comes with a Pro license.

But honestly, who the heck does this? If you're reselling a home class computer, why would you upgrade it to Pro before selling it? If a business really needs pro, they should be using a business class computer that already comes with a Pro license.

There are a TON of Optiplexes out there that were originally shipped with Home. It equally makes no sense to me, why someone would order them that way... but they exist.

There are a TON of Optiplexes out there that were originally shipped with Home.

Huh. I think I've seen that like once or twice and I was confused as hell when I installed Pro and then the freaking key wouldn't work. From now on I always check but it's exceedingly rare for me to see a business class computer with a home class OS installed. Maybe it's just the cheapwad businesses that do that.

Huh. I think I've seen that like once or twice and I was confused as hell when I installed Pro and then the freaking key wouldn't work. From now on I always check but it's exceedingly rare for me to see a business class computer with a home class OS installed. Maybe it's just the cheapwad businesses that do that.

Yeah I don't see them hardly ever myself, BUT I have made a fair bit ordering them from CDI because they usually come out a little cheaper for the same rig. The trade is, you get to deal with the license on reinstall. But, I have my EI.CFG ready to do just that and move on.

If that gravy train ends, it's not the end of the world. But snagging another $30-50 / station for copying a text file into the sources folder was kind of nice.

Probably discontinuing the refurbisher program because so many were ignoring it and selling computers with free Windows 10 upgrade instead. Most refurbs are sold to home or very small business users so Home licenses aren't usually an issue.

We received this E-Mail from Blair Technology Group yesterday. They somehow appear to be able to supply MRR licenses after MS stops. I have not had time yet to pursue this to find out if it has any validity but I will try today. Has anyone else dealt with them. From a real cursory look it appears legit. They are also a refurbisher with equipment to sell.

Blair Technology Group
4314 Boron Ave Ste D
Covington, KY 41015-1786

https://www.blairtg.com

Following Microsoft’s communication, we were contacted by several members of the MRR community. It is clear many of you have questions and concerns about what this will mean for your business in the coming weeks. We are here to assist both our Third Party Refurbisher (TPR) partners, as well those who will be impacted in the coming weeks and may require assistance finding a smooth path forward.

To our TPR partners...

• Your partnership on BTG’s TPR program is still valid and your standing will not cease in any manner because of Microsoft’s termination of the MRR program. In fact, your partnership on our program ensures you are in an ideal scenario for this upcoming transition as we are fully prepared to pick-up where the MRR program leaves off.

• If you additionally acquire licenses through distribution partners such as D&H, Ingram Micro, or Tech Data, you can now (and always could have) rely on us for all your fulfillment needs.

• Computers and Laptops six (6) months or older can still be licensed with COA’s provided from BTG, even without an existing Windows Product Key typically required for activation.

• The way you request, receive, report, and use the COA’s we provide will not change because of Microsoft’s termination of the MRR program. We are ready for your ongoing orders and we remain committed to keeping you in-stock.

Because MS is making it into a channel. They're big enough to play... that's how this game works. Find yourself a partner, and keep on trucking. CSP was invite only there for a bit, I assume the same thing is happening here.

Back