Mint and Wordpress

Fred Claus

Reaction score
I've been trying to use my Linux laptop more often and thought I would use it to develop websites. Someone told me you can install Wordpress as a Localserver to do development sites before they are uploaded to the live server. What would be the best way to install a wordpress environment on my Linux Mint computer for use as a development server?

Never messed around with Wordpress. But when I did mine using Rapid Weaver, macOS, the RW installation included its own web server mini stack. So it was tested within RW.

A quick look at Wordpress on Linux indicates you need to install a LAMP stack first then add Wordpress. This is very similar to installing other Linux web based services like freeNAS and ownCloud.

I did that for a while on Windows using the LAMP stack and it works very well once you've figured it all out. Then you have to figure out how to get that Wordpress site on to your target server. Think MySQL databases. After a while I said to myself, "Self, why not just do it on the target server to start with."

Reactions: NJW
Having recently done this, I'd agree with @glennd. Just to get the LAMP stack doing anything useful, you're going to need to learn a whole lot of SSH stuff etc. If you're going to be doing this on a regular basis, that's probably worth while, but if it's just an occasional thing, I'd let someone else take the strain. There are plenty of 'hide-my-site-it's-not-ready-yet' plug-ins etc for WP that you can use and there is some useful documentation on the WP site itself.

Reactions: NJW
I don't know about Mint but it's quite easy to do on Windows.

First, install WampServer - when you run the install, read the notes carefully - you may have to install a few extra MS Visual C++ packages first but the install notes have download links to them.

Once installed, set up your new Wordpress site on Wamp per this easy guide. When you have finished your site, install All-in-One WP Migration plugin and use it to export your site to a file.

Then on your live server install Wordpress and the same Migration plugin. To be able to import your file you must also manually install their free Basic plugin. Now you can import your saved file, job done. The plugin migrates the whole site, including MySQL databases, plugins etc.

There is a plugin called "WP Staging" where the site is under a sub domain with all the DB's etc. Then when ready to go live you just "push" the site live.

The Pro version does cost though.

Back