Mint 18.2 Update / Upgrade

Altster

Reaction score
So how many of you who are using Mint 18.1 are doing, planning or thinking of doing the upgrade to 18.2?

AND do you think it is worth the update to go there?

Personally, as of this writing I'm still using 18.1 - no problems that I'm aware of right now on my rig.

I've started using Mint 18.1 on a laptop (5th Gen i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, 17" LCD with 2 extra monitors) for everyday stuff.
I will update to 18.2 shortly, because - well, why not!
I was using Fedora, but I think Mint is a little more "polished."
Don't get me wrong, Fedora is great, rock solid, easy to use but I just don't like Gnome 3.x
Yeah, I could get a build with LXDE or Mate but I had a liking for green over blue!
So I'm fickle. But this is why I love Linux! It's all about choice.

So how many of you who are using Mint 18.1 are doing, planning or thinking of doing the upgrade to 18.2?

AND do you think it is worth the update to go there?
Small incremental updates are always better than leaving it for the Big One, imo. It's usually much easier to resolve a problem if you haven't made several steps at once.

By all means wait a couple of weeks and keep an eye on the support forums – you'll soon see if something isn't quite ready. I have to say that I've never had a problem with Mint upgrades, even when ignoring the advice against in-place upgrades rather than wipe & reinstall.

I agree with @NJW . Lets see how the initial installs work with others before upgrading. I have a lot going on with my production system and dont want anything to screw up :)

Incidently, Now is a great time to advertise to your linux customers about upgrading them (via remote) to 18.2 for the cost of a remote session :)

Added thought:

If you have PPA's that have been added to your system then give some thought to those. Could cause some issues.

Last edited:
Keep us informed with your experience(s) with the update and how it is going.
So.. I did the upgrade to Mint 18.2 while I was writing some posts on a forum. It just ran in the background for about 15 minutes, asked to restart, said there was a kernel update -which I installed, then restarted, installed another kernel update, restarted and I was done.
Very easy and quick. (I didn't even bother to backup beforehand!)

I really don't give a second thought about Mint incremental updates. The volunteer community is so strong in the pre-release testing that I don't really worry about the major releases either. I always seem to look forward to them instead of dread them like Windows.

Reactions: GTP
I really don't give a second thought about Mint incremental updates. The volunteer community is so strong in the pre-release testing that I don't really worry about the major releases either. I always seem to look forward to them instead of dread them like Windows.
Perhaps one of the best parts of the Mint update which I like is when it finds and offers up updates for other programs - ie; Opera, Google Chrome Browser, etc..

I agree with your statement referring to Windows.

Reactions: GTP
Yes, I agree. I have a lot of confidence/trust in the community - so much so that I just go ahead with any updates they push out.
Although I trust Linux more than Windows, for major version updates/releases on production machines I will always backup first!

Perhaps one of the best parts of the Mint update which I like is when it finds and offers up updates for other programs - ie; Opera, Google Chrome Browser, etc..

I agree with your statement referring to Windows.
Most distro's (if not all?) update all software.

OK, so I'm now running 18.2 MATE on my primary desktop computer. I still run Winblowz on my gaming computer since so many of my games won't run on Linux (even with WINE). I don't even try to run most games on Linux - UNLESS it is a game made for Linux.

Most everything I do online is done on this computer (Linux) anyway!

The upgrade went just fine - no problems that I have found (I don't expect any, either.)

OK, so I'm now running 18.2 MATE on my primary desktop computer. I still run Winblowz on my gaming computer since so many of my games won't run on Linux (even with WINE). I don't even try to run most games on Linux - UNLESS it is a game made for Linux.

Most everything I do online is done on this computer (Linux) anyway!

The upgrade went just fine - no problems that I have found (I don't expect any, either.)

I have some PPA's on mine that make me hesitant to upgrade. However, I will muster up the guts to do it soon. :)

So far, How is 18.2 looking and acting? Pretty good?

coffee

I have some PPA's on mine that make me hesitant to upgrade. However, I will muster up the guts to do it soon. :)

coffee
No problems at the moment. I had been seeing some "resolving host" issues (even before the upgrade) and think I have that ironed out.

I didn't do a backup first, but @Barcelona convinced me that I would be ok. I'm betting you will be too, but you could always back up your system first. You have the room (storage space) don't you?

@coffee, how's the weather up your way? Sunny & 75 here right now.

coffee
All normal so far, nothing new that I've noticed, no UI changes, no speed increase/decrease, no instability, just rock solid and working fine. :D

I see that Mint 18.3 is now available for upgrading your .2 versions. I'll probably do it once I get a notice to do so. Going to .2 from .1 was effortless and I suspect that future updates won't be painful.

Back