Migrate XP to windows 8.1

Galdorf

Reaction score
You can migrate XP with windows easy transfer from windows xp to windows 8 BUT not 8.1

Transfer your data for free*

Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to provide you with free data transfer. Laplink PCmover Express is an easy way to move all of your files, settings and user profiles from your old Windows XP PC to your new Windows PC. Just download the free version of PCmover express to get started.**

Last edited:
The ** on the download page says:

**Will run only if source PC is Windows XP and destination PC is Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

So does that mean it WILL work on 8.1 or are you seeing something else ?

The ** on the download page says:

**Will run only if source PC is Windows XP and destination PC is Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

So does that mean it WILL work on 8.1 or are you seeing something else ?

source pc is xp it installs on there, installs on there 8.1
won't work from vista,7->8.1 which is supported by easy windows transfer on 8.1.

Last edited:
source pc is xp it installs on there, installs on there 8.1
won't work from vista,7->8.1 which is supported by easy windows transfer on 8.1.

I need more coffee ? Did you read my quote ? It says it will RUN on XP but the destination can be 7,8 or 8.1.

You said you cannot upgrade XP to 8.1, but the quote appears to contradict your statement.

I need more coffee ? Did you read my quote ? It says it will RUN on XP but the destination can be 7,8 or 8.1.

You said you cannot upgrade XP to 8.1, but the quote appears to contradict your statement.

Ahhh what it means is easy transfer on 8.1 will not work with a windows xp machine only vista,7,8 also you can no longer use easy transfer cable on 8.1 why Microsoft WHY!!!!

Last edited:
MS wants you to upgrade to 8.1. They paid Laplink money for a tool to make it easier.
They don't want you to use the free tool to move from XP to Vista or 7, they want to sell you 8

Back