Microsoft SQL Server on Windows 7

Moltuae

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Got a customer who's looking to replace an ageing server that runs SQL for their main LoB POS system, so I've been discussing the options and costs with them, leaning towards a dedicated Server (2012 R2 Standard) running SQL Server 2014 Standard Core or Enterprise Core (the database is way too large for Express).

As you probably know, MS SQL Server is laughably expensive, so we're looking at around £2.5K for Standard or £10K for Enterprise PER CORE! (how do they justify such a high price!?).

So I ask the customer to speak to their software vendor/supporter just to confirm that Standard Ed. will suffice. I haven't yet spoken to the vendor directly about this myself, but the customer reported back to tell me they said "we just install Windows 7 on server hardware and install Server 2012 (Enterprise/unlimited he thinks they said), which only costs about £1.5K". To which I was somewhat amazed and confused ...

So, is this right!?? Am I missing some cheaper 'desktop' edition of SQL Server that I'm unaware of? Also, running SQL Server on a desktop OS just seems to be asking for trouble ... do people really do this?

Always baffles me why someone will spend thousands on server hardware, thousands on software licensing, for a line of business application...and try to skimp on something like the operating system license to save 500-ish bucks.

To me the concern is issue is stability and support of the operating system, including driver and management software for the server hardware. Many "true servers" do not have driver or management software for a desktop OS...so you cannot install proper RAID controller drivers, or RAID management software, stuff like that.

Installation of Win7, for SQL'14, is supported.
http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2014_0005.htm

I know plenty of people that install SQL server on desktop OS's...namely, SQL programmers/developers.
But for having it in a production environment....having it on a proper server would be prudent, IMO.

Thanks Stonecat .... my thoughts exactly.

What baffled me though was the claim that it is somehow cheaper to buy SQL for Windows 7. I believe they are claiming there are no memory/core limitations either and (they say) it costs around £1500 (probably $2000ish). Is there really a cheaper (but unlimited) edition of SQL aimed at desktop OSes?

I was/am not aware of a "desktop OS" based version of SQL.....other than of course the freebie...SQL Express.

I believe it's the same SKU for SQL Standard or SQL Enterprise or Workgroup edition or whatever...regardless of if for a server, or desktop OS.
I'm not 100% positive...but I'll say 99%.

Thanks.

That's what I thought and I can't find any information to the contrary either.

It all sounds a bit iffy to me. I'll ask their POS software supplier to elaborate ...

Curious if their POS vendor supports it on a desktop OS for a "server"...guessing they probably do, lots of smaller shops will use a desktop for a "server".
It's amazing how many LOB vendors do stuff like this. They have programmers who know SQL but have no ability be an SQL administrator. So they end up recommending the dumbest setups.

Curious if their POS vendor supports it on a desktop OS for a "server"...guessing they probably do, lots of smaller shops will use a desktop for a "server".
Yep, that's what they said apparently ... "we often just ... ", or words to that effect. I'm going to try to speak to them myself tomorrow, if only out of curiosity, to find out exactly what it is they're recommending.

It's the vendor/reseller of the POS system we deal with, not the company who create the software (Fidelity Systems). I'm not sure if Fidelity would make the same recommendations ... but who knows, maybe they do. I think my customer is probably one of the POS reseller's biggest customers. I get the impression, from past experiences, that most of their customers are very small shops/businesses who probably leave the reseller to manage not only their POS but their IT in general. Bearing in mind, these are the sort of techies who leave firewalls turned off if they can't get something to work, though to be fair to them, they do sometimes let me know when they do.

If you are replacing the server because it is ageing then what SQL server licence have they currently got? Can you simply reinstall that on the new hardware? Even if it is end of life - does it still work?

If you want to be 100% legit, have a read of the Windows 7 licence which may still mention:

"You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services"

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/367502-windows-7-hosting-sql-server-and-connection-problems

Have you asked them explicitly if the database will run on the free SQL Express?

Maximum database size of 10 GB per database in SQL Server 2014
Single physical CPU, but multiple cores can be used
1 GB of RAM (runs on a system with higher RAM amount, but uses only at most 1 GB per instance

How many SQL clients are there? As far as I recall your legitimate options are:

(1) buy Server Core at 2.5k (you need two if you happen to have a quad core CPU, and you need four if you happen to install it on a non-visualised dual CPU server!!)

(2) Buy Server at around 800 plus CAL's for each device at around 150 to 200 each..

Flog them server 2012/206 and do it right!

Back