Microsoft Is Bringing the Start Menu Back

Windows 8. Meh. Windows 8 is good for your phone and tablet. Keep your toys. I'm happy with Android in these lines. This is from someone who's been running it on a desktop for nearly 2 years. And no I don't have or want touchscreen or touch mouse. Period.

I mean come on, even Microsoft is talking Windows 9 already next year. That to me means they realize people do not like or want Windows 8. Give things a rest and let Windows 8 die in peace already, then we can all say good riddance to Windows 8.

Last edited:
Microsoft has tried for the past 15years to put live content on the desktop. Active Desktop, the sidebar. All failures.
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it. You're right. I'm not convinced that means that this will be a failure, but it's the most compelling reason I've heard so far.

Apple realizes what Microsoft hasn't. That desktop needs are different then a tablet.
I agree that desktops and tablets have to work differently. I think where we disagree is that Windows 8 is a tablet, and not a desktop, operating system.

I'll take the bet as well as add a few things of my own.
I'm open to trying this -- if you can suggest a way we can do it, I'm game. (note: I'm going out of town tomorrow, so it'll have to be next week)

1. Open the control panel (I can in two clicks)
2. Shut down the computer. Lets see who hits that shutdown button first.
3. Create a desktop shortcut to a program.

1. I could probably match your speed on that (Start key, Control<enter>), but I wouldn't argue that opening the control panel is faster on Windows 8 -- it's not the point. Opening the control panel is less important than other things that are faster on Windows 8 for day-to-day productivity, like opening apps and switching between them.
2. I could probably do this just as fast, but kind of not the point. Windows 8 isn't really meant to be shut down. That said, it's one button to put it to sleep, or three keystrokes.
3. That's like me asking you to pin something to the Start screen on Windows 7. Regardless, if I boot into Desktop mode (which is an option) I can do it in precisely the same amount of time.

I'm open to trying this -- if you can suggest a way we can do it, I'm game. (note: I'm going out of town tomorrow, so it'll have to be next week)

Who knows, I may just learn something.

3. That's like me asking you to pin something to the Start screen on Windows 7. Regardless, if I boot into Desktop mode (which is an option) I can do it in precisely the same amount of time.

Not really. I'm simply asking you to do something all desktop computer users have been able to do for over 20 years. This shouldn't be hard. Should be even faster on Windows 8? Also when most people get their new win8 box it will not be booting into "desktop mode" This is why I said these things needed to be done from the "metro" or "modern" interface. I'm sure I can install a start menu replacement and do a few tweaks and basically turn my windows 8 machine into Windows 7. Thats not the point here. The point is out of the box Windows 8 lacks functionality that Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98 and Windows 95 all had. You have to install third party apps or do tweaks that the typical user wont know how to do to bring back that functionality.

2. I could probably do this just as fast, but kind of not the point. Windows 8 isn't really meant to be shut down. That said, it's one button to put it to sleep, or three keystrokes.

No sleep, SHUT DOWN. Lets find out. Takes me less than a half a second. Typical users still shut down their computers regularly. Again this is Microsoft telling us we are using it wrong. The way we have all been using our computers for over 20 years is wrong.

Last edited:
Not really. I'm simply asking you to do something all desktop computer users have been able to do for over 20 years.

I get it. (Really, I do.) I think my point is this: Just because you've been doing for the last 20 years, do you need to do it the same way for the next 20? There are trade-offs, some things will be slower or more awkward, others will be faster and smoother. The stuff that should be faster should be stuff that people do all the time (switching between windows, opening and closing apps), and if there's a trade off (slower to open control panel or create a shortcut) so be it, in my view.

Also when most people get their new win8 box it will not be booting into "desktop mode"
Now it will. Windows 8 Update 1 changed that. If you have a desktop, it goes to the desktop by default.

You have to install third party apps or do tweaks that the typical user wont know how to do to bring back that functionality.
My point is that the Start menu isn't needed if someone uses Windows 8 the way it's meant to be used. Regardless, you won. It's coming back.

No sleep, SHUT DOWN. Lets find out.
No need, you win.

Again this is Microsoft telling us we are using it wrong. The way we have all been using our computers for over 20 years is wrong.
My TV goes to sleep. My DVD player goes to sleep (OK, fine I don't have one, but I'm looking for examples ;)). Even my toaster goes to sleep now. If people want to turn off their computers, they can, but it's slightly more awkward.

Now that I've said this, I just realized there's a new power button at the top right of the Start screen in Windows 8.1 Update 1. But I still stand by the sleep method.

My point is that the Start menu isn't needed if someone uses Windows 8 the way it's meant to be used. Regardless, you won. It's coming back.

Thats like saying the GUI is not needed if someone knows how to use the command line. We found a very efficient way of using the computer and Microsoft took it backwards. The way Win 8 was meant to be used is on a touch screen not a desktop with a keyboard and mouse. It has no place on the typical end user desktop system or business computer. I didn't win the general public spoke with their $$$ and Microsoft had to STFU about us not using it right and listen.

I mean come on, even Microsoft is talking Windows 9 already next year. That to me means they realize people do not like or want Windows 8. Give things a rest and let Windows 8 die in peace already, then we can all say good riddance to Windows 8.

If you remember Windows 7 was not out long when the Windows 8 talk started. And going into 8 the idea from what I remember was that this would be the start of much shorter development cycles.

I think it's more Microsoft is trying to match Apple in shipping a semi major update every year, and a major version every 2-3 years. rather than they want to dump windows 8 as soon as possible.

If you remember Windows 7 was not out long when the Windows 8 talk started. And going into 8 the idea from what I remember was that this would be the start of much shorter development cycles.

I think it's more Microsoft is trying to match Apple in shipping a semi major update every year, and a major version every 2-3 years. rather than they want to dump windows 8 as soon as possible.

Correct. That is been the plan from the git go and it has nothing to do with windows 8 tanking. And frankly this is also a good thing. Vista's problems really screwed up the upgrade schedule. Microsoft use to roll out updates about every three years. Xp wasn't supposed to be out for a decade plus. It was supposed to die in 2004 with longhorn.

Back